1980 General 5-Star w. V1: General Unreliability

jeff c /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi all,

Bought a General 5-Star a couple weeks back. I went for it since it looked to be in great shape with some good upgrades (PHBG 17 with lever choke, 80cc Polini kit, MLM people's pipe), plus the seller said it had been serviced and set up recently at a reputable shop. He mentioned the tank would need to be restored, as there was a debris in fuel line issue. It has a Pietcard CDI.

Within the first week, I ran into problem after problem. The bike idled at a really high RPM, but taking down the idle screw just made it stall out whenever I stopped at lights. I checked all the jets, carb seemed to be clean, replaced the spark plug, tightened the chain, and finally went to clean the tank. Lo and behold, the tank was shiny and clean on the inside. I emptied the fuel and refilled it, and the problems persisted.

Every now and then I'll get a good 15 minute ride out of it, but any more than that, it stalls out, loses power while throttling, and just generally feels unhealthy. Idling is rough and inconsistent, with occasional revving and sometimes a choppy, low sputtering.

What should I start to look into? Feel like I've explored everything, and assumed it might just be an air filter/flow thing, but it randomly dies when idling no matter the airflow. Adjusting the fuel mixture screw doesn't seem to have bearing on this issue. I assume it has all the stock jets the Dellorto PHBG 17 comes with, and have been told maybe it's fuel rich, so I could downjet my main. Just getting a bit frustrated with this thing and want to get from point A to point B without stopping and adjusting 10 times.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account