ZA50 trans whine

Wesley Ambrosini /

I think it's the trans

Kitted 50cc za

New pucks

End float is in spec

Slowing down after getting into 2nd the bike whines. Sounds exactly like the plane running out of fuel in Temple of Doom

A reee reee reeee getting slower as I slow down

I can kind hear it when accelerating into 2nd gear. The only thing I can think of is some remnants of the rubber stopper fell in, but no chunks, and it just hangs out in the reservior right?

Rechecked the starter clutch adjustment

Tore down and put the trans back together no help there

Re: ZA50 trans whine

Wesley Ambrosini /

Next step (Sunday?) is to disconnect the front and rear brakes, one at a time, and try to isolate the noise a little better. For some reason I feel like it might be the front wheel but I dunno

They kinda do that in second gear for whatever reason. Same when you roll it backward you know.

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They kinda do that in second gear for whatever reason. Same when you

> roll it backward you know.

Oh, no way that's a relief

Brad William /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They kinda do that in second gear for whatever reason. Same when you

> roll it backward you know.

Seems they do. I spent a lot of sweat and tears trying to track it down. My za50 sets to whining, more like a worn bearing howl, at about 20mph and up. I rebuilt it. all new bearings. No avail. went back and replaced the bronze bearing on the clutch side of the crank (that was lotsa fun to source). No avail. Fucking irritating.

Maybe it's the gears meshing ?

Overpriced Parts /

Post Audio Video of the noise,

Wesley Ambrosini /

Yeah thats normal. My e50 does that. No big deal

Piston port kits have a nice fweem to them when their in the sweet spot. If you have the right pipe for the exhaust duration it’s even more pronounced.

Sounds just like both za50's I've built. In my experience it's completely normal.

I just put a ZA50 back together, similar to you. I'm getting a similar but much more pronounced whine in both first and second gear when moving. It seems to be running and shifting OK, but it is definitely more noisy than my other Maxi that is nearly identical. I'll post some video/sound tomorrow. THis Puch was not taken care of, so I'm thinking it may be bearings. A rebuild over the winter is going to be in order.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account