new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTD

recently got this off craigslist & is my first moped :-)

of course i did my research after i got the bike...

so theres no compression or spark or ANY fluid in any part of it but its clear the bike has been worked on at some point i.e newish rubber bearings and there are some obvious missing parts like every gasket, piston rings & pieces of the clutch lever.. but i wanted a bike with problems so i could really learn how this thing tic's. im not looking to spend a lot and fully re-do everything or mod it, but i do want to make it a reliable ride. however now i have a few questions before getting to work on this thing that maybe y'all could help with ??

engine:

there are some missing parts in the top end, pretty easy to identify with the manual and some gnarly carbon build up on the piston head(or whatever its called) with a few mm of gunk at every opening, safe to say it wouldnt be a bad idea to take apart most of the engine casing to clean and double check everything else is actually in there- *what tools are actually necessary for me to get into the engine? *any recommendations for carbon build up and/or gunk cleaning? *in general what parts are worth replacing regardless of seemingly okay appearance?(i know besides the rubber clutch)

electrical:

there is no head light or speedo, all the wires are crazy rusted, torn & exposed, have been soldered and some re-soldered, and im pretty certain ill need a new ignition coil.. so im going to have to replace most of that stuff. im working on this project slowly, on a budget so what should the order of operation be? *is it better to get this in working order before the engine? *with this bike is there a certain electrical items that has to works order for the bike to start? i know some have to have a working tail light or horn or whatever

paint:

least of my concern at this point but for the record i did not ruin the mustard rims and original dark blue paint job with mat spray paint, it came like that :(

i know some of these things were already answered in previous threads, i may just not know the right question to ask in the search since this is the first engine i've ever approached and there isnt a whole lot of talk around garelli's but any tips or tricks that you haven't seen discussed in previous threads or any advice for a first timer id greatly appreciate as well!

IMG_4710.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpg

Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTD

Holy hell, you have your work cut out for you. You are missing some crucial bits, but a majority of the hard to find stuff you have. I always wonder why paint the tires?? Meth is a hell of a drug...

Kerosene to desolve most any gunk. La's Awesome cleaner and hot water to remove disolved gunk and kerosene. Non scratch fiber scouring pads, long bristle brush, two spray bottles and some compressed air:

20170426_010618.jpg
20170428_013109.jpg

ssxl cool. concentrate on getting it running instead of taking it all apart, order new rings and a coupla crank seals a petcock spark plug a fuel filter a flywheel puller n some nd sae30 oil, base n head gasket. clean top end piston/head/slightly hone cylinder. then carefully remove tranny cover and clean out all that gunk well. good luck. just tape off the wires for now.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Wow, lots of work! That piston is trashed though.

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wow, lots of work! That piston is trashed though.

Definitely a bunch of work ahead .

But , I don't think that piston is trash . It looks like the PO tried running it with no rings . I see the ring landings packed with what looks like carbon and no rings . That's a first for me .

I'd try cleaning the piston to see how bad it really is .(edited)

yeah im pretty stoked, basically everything that was left on there besides the spark plug & tires are original parts- maybe the paint on the tires will seal the massive cracks? meth logic?

wow, a world of difference. thanks for the tip evil!

i cleaned it as much as i could without a proper chemical cleaner, looks like its burnt(?) and scored pretty bad where the rings should be, not sure new ones would even clip in and the bottom edges have been broken/chipped/bent from friction i assume but im surprised no damage to the cylinder. think ill save myself the headache and worry of potential damage and get a new one..

Before getting new ignition anything I'd just clean the point and see if has spark. Unless it's crusted up that's usually the no-spark culprit. Usually if the tail light doesn't have a resistor and/or the bulb is blown it won't give you spark so bypass the tail light for testing.

got it** thanks ggspeed, much appreciated!

Bad Cadillac™ /

The piston has too many gouges in it for me...

> R. WATTS Wrote:

> i cleaned it as much as i could without a proper chemical cleaner, looks

> like its burnt(?) and scored pretty bad where the rings should be, not

> sure new ones would even clip in and the bottom edges have been

> broken/chipped/bent from friction i assume but im surprised no damage to

> the cylinder. think ill save myself the headache and worry of potential

> damage and get a new one..

With that description , I think you'll be best with a new piston and rings .

I'd replace the wrist pin bearing ,too . Cheap insurance . ;)

> P D Wrote:

> > R. WATTS Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > i cleaned it as much as i could without a proper chemical cleaner,

> looks

>

> > like its burnt(?) and scored pretty bad where the rings should be, not

>

> > sure new ones would even clip in and the bottom edges have been

>

> > broken/chipped/bent from friction i assume but im surprised no damage

> to

>

> > the cylinder. think ill save myself the headache and worry of

> potential

>

> > damage and get a new one..

>

> With that description , I think you'll be best with a new piston and

> rings .

>

> I'd replace the wrist pin bearing ,too . Cheap insurance . ;)

This is a somewhat rare motor that uses the aluminum cylinder instead of the usual cast iron that the majority of NOI motors have.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> This is a somewhat rare motor that uses the aluminum cylinder instead of

> the usual cast iron that the majority of NOI motors have.

So , he has a Nikasil cylinder . Or , was there another type of cylinder I'm not aware of ?

Just got me a G bike,busted out taillight and lense. Was wondering about spark....I got it, Probably just jinked myself...

you might be able to just find someones old spare stock topend on buy/sell.

I might know a guy actually, he just kitted his but it ran before, stock topend probably still chillin, and getting someones used complete topend probably easier and no more expensive than gambling on rings for that guy. Treats and doscycles have rebuild gasket sets, bearings and seals. Probably worthwhile, but If it were me I would, as suggested above, tryn see it run 1st. A caution, sme of those NOI's had a really crazy pedal engagement mechanism that's fucking straight awful to get back together. Anyone know how to tell from the outside?

oh and make sure you only ever fill the trans fluid with NON DETEGENT (ND), usually ND30 is easiest to find. and premix any ol 2 stroke oil 2.6oz/gal in your gas, duh.

Don't look to me like it's really missing all that much. new tires you should get anyway. For wiring etc, tear it all out and simplify. See if you can get spark before replacing the ignition stuff, likely it's just clean points and you be ok. Then any headlight and taillights can work for the most part, run the power from the stator and split it, one up front for always on headlight, one to the back for an always on taillight, and use hand signals for brake and turns. you also don't need a speedo, you're pretty much always going as fast as you can, and theyre not that accurate to begin with, so it doesn't matter if you're going 23 or 27 when you can only go 27 anyway, it's not like youre checking the speedo a lot, you're either going as fast as you can or you're not.

seat cover is tough to find. but paint, whatever. it'll start to run when gas gets on it. you could clear coat it and make some vinyl decals and make it look at least intentionally black.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account