new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTD

R. WATTS /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

recently got this off craigslist & is my first moped :-)

of course i did my research after i got the bike...

so theres no compression or spark or ANY fluid in any part of it but its clear the bike has been worked on at some point i.e newish rubber bearings and there are some obvious missing parts like every gasket, piston rings & pieces of the clutch lever.. but i wanted a bike with problems so i could really learn how this thing tic's. im not looking to spend a lot and fully re-do everything or mod it, but i do want to make it a reliable ride. however now i have a few questions before getting to work on this thing that maybe y'all could help with ??

engine:

there are some missing parts in the top end, pretty easy to identify with the manual and some gnarly carbon build up on the piston head(or whatever its called) with a few mm of gunk at every opening, safe to say it wouldnt be a bad idea to take apart most of the engine casing to clean and double check everything else is actually in there- *what tools are actually necessary for me to get into the engine? *any recommendations for carbon build up and/or gunk cleaning? *in general what parts are worth replacing regardless of seemingly okay appearance?(i know besides the rubber clutch)

electrical:

there is no head light or speedo, all the wires are crazy rusted, torn & exposed, have been soldered and some re-soldered, and im pretty certain ill need a new ignition coil.. so im going to have to replace most of that stuff. im working on this project slowly, on a budget so what should the order of operation be? *is it better to get this in working order before the engine? *with this bike is there a certain electrical items that has to works order for the bike to start? i know some have to have a working tail light or horn or whatever

paint:

least of my concern at this point but for the record i did not ruin the mustard rims and original dark blue paint job with mat spray paint, it came like that :(

i know some of these things were already answered in previous threads, i may just not know the right question to ask in the search since this is the first engine i've ever approached and there isnt a whole lot of talk around garelli's but any tips or tricks that you haven't seen discussed in previous threads or any advice for a first timer id greatly appreciate as well!

IMG_4710.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDTopic by: R. WATTS R. WATTS 09/11/19 09:27PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Daniel '' Daniel '' 09/11/19 10:49PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: R. WATTS R. WATTS 09/12/19 12:23PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 09/12/19 01:34AM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: R. WATTS R. WATTS 09/12/19 12:25PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: pat splat pat splat 09/12/19 06:33AM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: R. WATTS R. WATTS 09/12/19 12:59PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Bad Cadillac™ Bad Cadillac™ 09/12/19 08:08AM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: P D P D 09/12/19 09:32AM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: R. WATTS R. WATTS 09/12/19 12:44PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: P D P D 09/12/19 01:38PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 09/12/19 02:36PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: P D P D 09/12/19 03:27PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Bad Cadillac™ Bad Cadillac™ 09/12/19 01:12PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Mike buttz Mike buttz 09/12/19 12:56PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Rob Healy Rob Healy 09/22/19 11:22PM
  Re: new project- 1980 Garelli Super Sport XL LTDRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 09/23/19 01:39PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account