Garelli SSXL stalling when engaging brakes

My Garelli SSXL is stalling whenever I engage either brake. If I hold the brake in for more than a second it will stall.

I'm convinced this is not an idling issue because the moped idols consistently without stalling when at a complete stop. In other words, the moped will idol at 0mph.

I've read that the moped will cut off when engaging the brakes if the brake light is out. However, the brake and plate light manages to come on when the brakes are engaged just before the moped cuts off.

Am I dealing with a bad ground wire? Do these mopeds have fuses? I'm assuming theres a short somewhere in the system thats causing the moped to not make a complete circuit when the brakes are engaged. I'm savvy when it comes to basic motorcycle/moped repair until I'm dealing with electrical issues, so it'd be greatly appreciated if you all can simplify any advice/suggestions.

Re: Garelli SSXL stalling when engaging brakes

Prob a ground, at the light or the switches, try one lever at a time.

I'm assuming it't at the light because either lever on its own will stall out the bike... safe assumption?

Yes, maybe corrosion at the mounting point of the light or in the socket itself?

a coupla things that may help zero in.

wiring diagram: locate, disconnect and ground ext ig ground, if bike runs normally then then your suspicions r correct.

test w both brake switches w wires disconnected. work? correct type switch no/nc?

or if u dont have a tester then u can jump the wires at the brake switches, one side both side etc. will help w left side or right.

Does this thing stall when taking it off the center stand without touching the brakes?

It doesn’t stall. It idols nicely at 0mph with the rear wheel resting on the ground or even when I walk it in the reverse direction.

I was planning on lightly sanding down the contact point and seeing if that helps before replacing wires. Will report back.

What is the “ext ig ground”... sorry I’m just not all that familiar with electrical work/verbiage

I tried *unplugging the two wires that run into the brakes but then it wouldn’t start at all... are you saying I should disconnect the element that the two wires run into?

What do you mean by “jumping the wires at the brake switch”? Sorry, if you could baby me through this suggestion I’d appreciate it.

The exciter (or primary) coil for ignition within the stator gets its ground through both brake light switches. Pull the brake lever(s) and the coil finds ground through the brake light bulb thus illuminating the bulb. If the bulb burns out then the engine will die UNLESS there is a resistor in the tail light housing that supplies a third path to ground. Not all C.E.V. tail light housings have this resistor. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and thats why the bulb and resistor only work when the ground is broken at handle bars by brake switches(s).

You need to check ground going to tail light with a continuity tester. A bad ground to tail light will cause this.

Remember: the ignition supplies the current to light brake light bulb through ground.(edited)

to help clarify: ext ig ground- external ignition ground

jump - connect wires together, jumper small wire wrapped around, taped tightly etc.

the brake switch fragile, unscrews from controls.

controls - stuff on end of handlebars.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account