wtf, can't get mlm pipe installed with malossi kit on qt50

Rob LaFreniere /

The mlm pipe fit tolerably well on the stock cylinder and the stock exhaust fits fine on the malossi cylinder. When the mlm pipe is installed on the malossi, the mounting bracket holes are half inch away from the mounting holes on the engine.

What can I do? Bend the pipe? This project never f'n ends.

Re: wtf, can't get mlm pipe installed with malossi kit on qt50

Jack Rutherford /

just make the mounting holds bigger on the pipe bracket. I had same problem. the bigger cylinder moves the pipe back a little. Dremel or drill bit or round file that will fit in the holes.

Rob LaFreniere /

Thanks, Jack

Rob LaFreniere /

Right after getting ready to drill, my brother-in-law suggested I try some thick 1/4''-1/2'' nylon washers to push out the bracket so that it would bring the holes closer to proper alignment.

The washers did help, but I had to apply moderate pressure on the pipe while screwing in the bolts.

Not sure if this is a long term solution.

IMG_20190909_214547.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

Be careful as that may put tension on the pipe and lead to a crack (if you had to force fit it). I always attach pipe to header and see how it wants to sit and then try to finish securing it in the position the pipe likes.

^ +1

Also can put weird pressure on the cylinder. Do not recommend.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account