NC50 Spring Release Lever Problem

Just got my previously running NC50 back out of the garage and - after winding the spring, which works - I found that pulling the brake cable wouldn't release the spring lever. At first, I tried adjusting the cable, but in the end I realized that there was too much play in the lever. Where it would normally hold, it winds as if there is no restricting force inside. To find that out, I compared to my other express. Wondering what the likely issue is inside the case that is preventing the spring from being released. Also, I don't really want to remove the cover with the spring wound, but don't see any other way. Could you all please advise? Thanks.

Re: NC50 Spring Release Lever Problem

The clock spring has finally broke. When that happens you will be able to ratchet the starter lever to its end of travel. Since the spring is broke, there is nothing to unwind the limit chain inside. Find another used, unbroken spring in its "L" case cover and swap out.

Also, the spring can be wound up tight inside case cover and is no threat unless you try to take it out of the case cover. Its bolted in place with security torx screws.(edited)

Right, thanks. Any ideas on where to find that replacement part? I can rob Peter to pay Paul from my other engine, but I am mid-rebuild so I would prefer not to.

There is a way to convert it to kickstart and get rid of the wind up spring. You tube that shit.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There is a way to convert it to kickstart and get rid of the wind up

> spring. You tube that shit.

I don't recommend this for safety reasons. The one I'm currently selling in buy sell had this already done to it when I bought it. Once I got it running the start pedal rolled around in 360 degree fashion while riding. Dragging the start pedal while leaning left into curves/corners was all I needed to witness before removing that garbage and returning to stock.

> t nags Wrote:

> Right, thanks. Any ideas on where to find that replacement part? I can

> rob Peter to pay Paul from my other engine, but I am mid-rebuild so I

> would prefer not to.

You need to find someone parting out an NC50. Make sure the spring is not broken already.

I have a broken spring Ive weld back together and yet to re install back into case. I overlapped the joint when welding back together so I'm sure it would work for awhile. I was curious to see how long it would last.

After I sell my running express, I would probably be willing to sell a spare motor I have with good spring that has 600 original miles on it.

Ya, those springs are something you want to have a spare of laying around cause they will eventually break.

After converting mine back from the janky kick start, I installed a used spring and got about 1700 miles out of it before it broke. So, I'm on my second spring with this ped in the 2200 miles ive ridden it. Everytime you wind one up is one less time before it breaks. Be glad it didnt happen on the road somewhere.(edited)

Jack Rutherford /

Pull start conversion?

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> Pull start conversion?

Id be interested in this when someone can figure out how to keep the trans oil inside of the case.

Jack Rutherford /

I thought I saw it done here on moped army before for the express

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> I thought I saw it done here on moped army before for the express

It's just about have to be done on the right side of motor

Jack Rutherford /

ok I see

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> ok I see

Im all ears and would consider it.

I suppose if I couldn't find any used wind up springs I'd delve much deeper into this.

Jack Rutherford /

here's one thread on it - he starts with a video on the kick start conversion as part of the process is the same

I tested my other L Cover from another working express of mine and it didn’t work on when put onto the other L-case, it also wouldn’t release the spring. To be sure I wasn’t going crazy, I put the thought-to-be shot L cover from the other bike onto my working express’s L-case and it works fine. So there’s something going on with the case starter lever instead of the release spring on the cover. It all looks good though and so now i’m stuck... any advice?

Can you can spin or move crankshaft by hand? Is the adjustment set correctly on the rear brake cable at the arm? Are all the timing marks where they should be on the sprockets inside of trans case?

i had this issue and had to replace the C clip on the lever that releases the starter spring.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account