Re: Help for a new guy? QT question

Jack Rutherford /

just for fun, try running it with the gas cap a little loose

It's good advice and I did try it early on. I purchased the PW50 stator and will change out the charge coil. Should be easy since I was just in there to change the crank seal. I'll update when I get to it this week.

Thanks!

Jack, I think I am solving it..... I put the PW50 charge coil on the stator using your Youtube video instructions. While things were apart, I also upjetted the clone carburetor with a 77.5.

The spark must have improved tremendously because it only took 1/2 a kick and it fired right up. Before it would take several kicks. I took it for a brief ride but two things are now happening and I didn't get to drive it long enough to see if it still cuts out. 1) I think that the 77.5 jet is too much. The motor simply bogs at WOT. Works well up to WOT but then...brapp.....blahhhhhh....I'm going back to the 70 (or whatever comes in that miniky clone 2) there is a secondary noise coming from the flywheel. I think the new charge coil is brushing the magnets. I've attached a video link. You can hear it when the rpms come down. I have to pull the flywheel and investigate.

Once I resolve the new noise, I'm looking forward to testing the new coil. I'm optimistic.

I also attached picture of original stator (coils). I think someone asked for it.

IMG_2854.JPG

Jack Rutherford /

more likely your stator wiring isn't tucked in/pulled out all the way. I forget your set up. I will look

Jack Rutherford /

ok so 60cc kit and everything else stock? try a 75 or buy some SHA jets that come in increment of one. and get a 5 pack.

Just a 60cc kit (niche) and miniky clone carb. Thanks for the tip on the 5 pack. I do have a 75 and will try that first. I notice that the Mikuni jets are a little higher than the one pulled out of the clone. I'm sure that has an effect.

It can't be the stator wire because I actually was able to use the stock wire and it is a pretty tight fit. I de-soldered it from the original coil and soldered it to the terminal on the new coil. Maybe the wire for the ground is somehow sticking up? I'm sure I'll figure it out when I see the scratches. My PW coil looks different than yours.....and it came broken j(no big surprise). I had to epoxy the plastic end that has terminals. I will post a picture of it tomorrow when I pull the flywheel off.

I'm making good progress. The noise from the stator/flywheel was self inflicted: I neglected to fully tighten the stator plate screws. I normally use a touch of impact driver on these and for whatever reason, forgot...

With the noise solved, I put a lower jet (75) in and although it improved it still suffered the bogs at WOT. I then changed back to the unmarked jet that came with the carb (assuming a 70) and it ran much better with higher top speed.....but still a BOG at the very top. I also raised the clip on my needle and the acceleration improved decently. I'm leaning towards this clone carb being rich for whatever reason.

I will take it for a longer ride, but I think the new charge coil solved the initial, and major problem, of it dying out after a few minutes.

Below is a photo of the charge coil installed. I also took a picture of the clone jet (shorter) next to the mikuni jet. Note that the clone jet uses an o-ring which I'm guessing is there to make it taller when installed - similar to the Mikuni.

I will ride for extended time tonight to make sure the dying out problem is solved. I will look at the spark plug as well. I think I will try a lower main jet.

Sorry.... first attachments didn't work for me

IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2860.jpg

This is a photo of my spark plug with about 15-20 minutes of run time on it and trying jets 70, 77.5, 75 and back to 70. Does it look like a rich mixture?

I cleaned it and will do a quasi-plug chop this evening.

IMG_2862.jpg

This is my quasi-plug chop. I rode for about 1/2 mile, then WOT for last 200 yards and then kill switch. There was a slight bit of wet oil/fuel on the threads/washer.

The dying out problem was definitely solved!!! Thanks for your guidance Jack Rutherford.

IMG_2863.jpg

I'd say the quasi plug looks much better .

Thank you for that confirmation PD.

I put a new filter and oiled it with a K&N spray. Is it possible that it maybe over oiled and its acting like a dirty filter, causing a rich mixture? I'm still going to try a 68 jet, down from 70 to see if this resolves the WOT bog. I'm also going to put the needle jet clip back to stock (clone carb) because while my acceleration picked up, I think I have created a hesitation.

I like my plugs a light to medium tan with the outer ring ( very bottom of the threads ) dry , with a very slight color .

Jack, or anyone who has used Miniky (clone) carburetor: Can you point me to a source for correct main jets that work on Miniky? I think that the oem Mikuni jets that I have are actually a different thread pitch, which I think is strange. Thanks in advance.

If the jet threads mess nicely , they are the same pitch .

Hold a head in each hand and see how the threads fit into each other .

Jack Rutherford /

> Geoff L Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I put a new filter and oiled it with a K&N spray. Is it possible that

> it maybe over oiled and its acting like a dirty filter, causing a rich

> mixture? I'm still going to try a 68 jet, down from 70 to see if this

> resolves the WOT bog. I'm also going to put the needle jet clip back to

> stock (clone carb) because while my acceleration picked up, I think I

> have created a hesitation.

Yes. More oil on filter = less air to carb. And eventually the oil will dry off and then you have a too small jet as a result.

the clone carb jet is bigger than 70, I believe, but less than 75 but I don't exactly what it is and they probably don't put a number on there to give them some leeway. Your best off getting numbered jets. The stock mikuni jets should work in the clone carb. or you an use the SHA jets which come in increments of one. Do you have a temp gauge? That will help you get it dialed in.

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If the jet threads mess nicely , they are the same pitch .

>

> Hold a head in each hand and see how the threads fit into each other .

I meant to say MESH , not mess . :(

Roger that

Jack, understood about the air filter and oiling. I have a set of SHA jets on the way to me. I will jet lower and see what, if anything, improves.

Again, thanks for the advice on the coil. That seems to have resolved the initial issues (dying out after brief ride). I remembered someone on a forum in the past saying that your problems are "always electrical 90% of the time.....". I should have remembered and started there with my troubleshooting.

More follow up.... Today I had ridden the QT for about 5-10 minutes. The "dying" issue has been resolved. Victory!

It was still bogging WOT so for giggles I took it for another very short test ride with the air filter off, no change. I dropped the jetting from whatever is stock in this Miniky clone carb (probably 70+) down to 68. It seems to have cleared up the bog WOT except for at the top of the RPMs (30 mph). When I say bog, I believe it is four stroking as if I were coming down a hill.

Is four stroking normal at WOT, top of the RPMs and top speed? It's a Niche 60cc kit and the top speed is about 30mph-32mph on the speedo. When it gets there, it kind of bogs, then catches, then bogs....and I can somewhat control it with the throttle.

If this is normal, then I guess I'm done unless I want to get into new pipe and and filter. My goal is to keep it a strong runner that appears stock for that nostalgic buyer. ;)

Jack Rutherford /

It should 4 stroke in limited circumstances. Yours sounds like it is doing so too often. First, ride it around for 15-20 minutes and see if the bogging reduces or goes away once it is fully up to temperature. Your stock exhaust may be clogged with carbon as well - especially since you are running such a small jet and still bogging. And you did over-oil the air filter but I guess you tried it without the filter. If your exhaust is clear and it stills bogs too much, try a 67.

I didn't have a 67 but tried a 66 and it improved further. It slightly bogs at the very extreme top of the rpms where, frankly, the motor is screaming. I misstated my top speed earlier. It's closer to 30mph.

I did try it without the air filter and did not notice any difference.

How do I determine if the exhaust is blocked? The bike only had 700 miles on it when I received it so would it be normal to have a fouled up exhaust pipe?

I think that I discovered something else... The float needle/valve sticks. When I have the bowl apart it won't fall out of its seat unless I blow into the fuel inlet. This might explain some of the shutdowns I was having. Unless I'm mistaken, the needle should fall out on its own? loose....?

Jack Rutherford /

with just 700 miles, I doubt the exhaust is blocked - take a look down the end of it and see if you have a layer of carbon

The exhaust is clear - no real carbon. I soaked it in carb/parts cleaner for two days as a precaution.

I think I have everything squared away. I am running a 66 main jet with this Miniky clone carb and 60cc Niche kit, stock filter. It takes a minute or two to warm up/clear out. Once it is warmed up, top speed is just beyond 30 mph (speedo pegged) and it has a slight bog at the very top depending on the circumstances - i.e., level or down hill. I think that this tells me that I'm not in danger of running too lean. I don't have a temp gauge, only a laser thermometer - but I don't know what a good head temperature is anyway. Bottom line is that I think it is running very good - very quick.

I also discovered something else. In the beginning I was having issues of intermittent shutting off. I chased the carb/fuel (trying two clone carbs) and electrical. I even replaced crank seals as a routine precaution. The problem seemed to improve when I changed out the lighting coil, but I still was having a random shut down.

The other day when I yet again tried a new jet, I noticed that the float needle was sticking inside the seat. I happened to have two of these Miniky carbs and when I looked at the other one.....same sticking needle valve. A sticking valve could easily have been the problem all along. I have clear line and inline fuel filter, and while it always appeared to have fuel, I could have been mistaken.

Here is where I'm at now: I polished the float valve seat and tried cleaning the needle very well. It now falls out of the seat as expected. I have yet to put serious drive time on the street - waiting on that PA title.... I will do a plug chop this weekend to see if I can confirm jetting success.

where did you get your pw50 charge coil? all the ones ive seen (on amazon) have terrible reviews

Maybe Ebay :

pw50 coil

Jack Rutherford /

I buy mine on Amazon. I buy a pw50 stator and just take the charge coil off.

I bought a PW50 stator on Amazon and transferred the charge coil to my original stator plate. This may be different than the ones that Jack R has discussed. I would say the quality is questionable as it arrived somewhat broken. Nevertheless, I installed it and it definitely improved my spark. For $14 it was a simple troubleshooting maneuver that I am happy with.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTXFZZ3/

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account