E50 build, Tunturi City engine swap

Welcome to my E50 build-diary.

I will try to keep the thread up to date, and post pictures as I get along.

I have a Tunturi City - 91 with the Morini m101k engine. The earlier model Tunturi City (which is loosely based on the Puch Maxi) came with the E50 engine.

This project will be about the restoration of an old E50 engine, and customization of the moped.

Got my hands on an engine from the Netherlands, quite cheap. It was posted this morning, so should arrive before the end of this week. For now I only ordered the engine and the clutch cover, because these will be painted black.

Here are sone pictures the seller sent me of the engine

1567187955082_image4.jpeg
1567187942247_image2.jpeg
1567187885606_image1.jpeg

Re: E50 build, Tunturi City engine swap

This is what it looks like.

IMG_20190702_203454.jpg

What's wrong with the 101? Those are neat too.

It's very hard to find parts for it, and my blocks have some pieces chipped off. I'd have to pay more for half an engine block than I paid for the E50.

It's a simple engine, but the E50 even more so..which is perfect since this is my first time opening any engine.

Since I live in Europe, and the availability of Puch aftermarket parts is very good, I chose this route.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

What "blocks" are you referring to that have pieces chipped off? The cylinder and head? That would be a silly reason to hack up a neat bike, and to boot, give up a variated engine for a single speed e50...

I dunno man...do what you want, but I'm not giving this swap much love, nor do I think many here will either

I would trade an e50 and a half for that m101 (edited)

This is really interesting. The Morini engine has a really bad reputation here. I don't know if the Italian aluminium is just incompatible with the harsh winters here, or if it's all just confirmation bias.

One problem is also the fact that a lot of the Tunturis seems to be in the hands of a very few, with no one willing to sell any intact parts.

Finnish forums are notorious for trolls and people behaving badly..so in addition to crappy overpriced parts you get a slew of insults. Often all in capital letters followed by a few lines of exclamation marks..

I really like the looks of the E50, too..and with an abundance of parts available this seems like a good project.

Edit: I also chose the E50 because I probably lack the skills and knowledge to properly build/repair the Morini engine. I don't feel confident in modding parts meant for other mopeds/scooters to fit my moped, so I'm kind of trying to compromise. This way I will learn something new, but it won't be too difficult. (edited)

Just e50 it, parts for those Italian engines are nowhere to be found.

That sucks. Maybe hit up doscycles and see if they might be able to help you source parts?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Kickstart M101 is a much nicer motor than an boring ass e50

E50 is 1000 x better than a stupid annoying m101. I would rather build a Vespa or a motobecane instead of a morini anything. I guess I just don’t get the allure of the dual variated Italian mopeds, I’m plenty happy with the performance of a minarelli v1. I feel like a c2 is slower than a tuned v1 simply because of the fact that a belt is such a big eater of horsepower.

Seems like you could sell that m101 here pretty easy. Post it up in buy and sell

IMG_20190904_190847.jpg

> Jonathan R Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Seems like you could sell that m101 here pretty easy. Post it up in buy

> and sell

Perhaps :) For now I still "need" it running until I have all the parts I need for the E50.

There is a slight problem with this, though. I'm still not sure what I'll need! The general idea is relatively clear, but the combination of say carb and exhaust is still a little vague.

My goal is to keep the moped road-legal, which is about 30mph. It would be nice to reach that speed a.s.a.p, and maintain most of that speed when riding uphill. That would be half of the time over here ;)

I'm willing to make all the compromises I have to, excluding road-legality.

This whole project has a strong 'artistic', or esthetic side to it, and a hobby to get my moped skills up to date. I have a 1 year old son, and knowing how time flies by, he'll be 15 and will be wanting a moped before I know it..so I better make damn sure my own skill-level is at least adequate for a 2-stroke single speed! :D (edited)

> Arwid V Wrote:

> My goal is to keep the moped road-legal, which is about 30mph. It would

> be nice to reach that speed a.s.a.p, and maintain most of that speed

> when riding uphill. That would be half of the time over here ;)

>

Then I would buy a stock Camino motor and subframe over an e50. You wouldn't have to do any engine mods and you'd cruise at 30 all day. Hills+non-variated engines = slow.

You are probably right. But fact is that I could have bought any cheap scooter I could get my hands on..if the only goal was to ride easy.

This is not out of necessity, it's more the build itself (how illogical it may seem at times), the tinkering, designing and learning.

The E50 might be silly, but so is a lot of stuff I'm planning for this moped ;) (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you are looking for a 30 mph bike with the ability to push up hills, the M101 is a much better choice. Or like was mentioned, any variated motor.

The hill climbing is definitely something I have to compromise with..but not the engine. It really is that hard to get parts for the Morini, compared to Puch. This might be a regional thing, though.

..and I kind of like the looks of the E50. Normally not a deciding factor, but this time it counts for more :)

Definitely hell-bent on building this Puch!

You still haven't explained what parts you need and why you need them/think you need them? What's wrong with your engine?

E50 is better leave the guy alone with the dumb questions. It’s not like the dude is putting a lifan on a derbi or something. M101 are trash motors.

It's easier to tell you what I don't need. The frame.

I change the engine, carb, exhaust, fenders, lights, electrics, tank..everything. Just because I want to.

As I said, the biggest thing 'wrong' with my engine is the fact that parts are very hard to get, and that's not only for the engine. It's equally hard to get other new parts for a Tunturi.

This is not about restoration, it is just building a moped :)

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> E50 is better leave the guy alone with the dumb questions. It’s not like

> the dude is putting a lifan on a derbi or something. M101 are trash

> motors.

nah they pretty great. i've gotten a 101 to 64 on a gila (60cc)

nobody knows how to tune a clutch on a variated bike, thats not morinis fault

You need an complete engine, bearings, seals, maybe a new crank, a kit, tunable clutch, intake, carb, exhaust, skills and a welder. Cdi or points ignition, pick your flavor.

Fabricate mounts with proper chain spacing, weldem on. Paint.

Then your gonna need to tune the clutch, jet the carb, you'll need a custom exhaust mount....starter clutch lever..

Wiring should adapt pretty easily.

Or, you could take the money your gonna spend and buy a good Puch moped. But good luck!

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Or, you could take the money your gonna spend and buy a good Puch moped.

> But good luck!

Yeah, lets not do dumb moped things! Thats the spirit of moped army!

> alex . Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > E50 is better leave the guy alone with the dumb questions. It’s not

> like

>

> > the dude is putting a lifan on a derbi or something. M101 are trash

>

> > motors.

>

> nah they pretty great. i've gotten a 101 to 64 on a gila (60cc)

>

> nobody knows how to tune a clutch on a variated bike, thats not morinis

> fault

Fine they can rip, but break one thing and then it’s trash. Even the old derbi’s with p.p. and p.r. engines, which they imported in the 10,000s are hard to find certain parts for. I would rather chop my dong off than search for spare parts for a half cocked Italian-Suzuki/Puch bastard child. The only cool thing is some Vespa parts can be modified to work in the transmission.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> You need an complete engine, bearings, seals, maybe a new crank, a kit,

> tunable clutch, intake, carb, exhaust, skills and a welder. Cdi or

> points ignition, pick your flavor.

>

> Fabricate mounts with proper chain spacing, weldem on. Paint.

>

> Then your gonna need to tune the clutch, jet the carb, you'll need a

> custom exhaust mount....starter clutch lever..

>

> Wiring should adapt pretty easily.

>

> Or, you could take the money your gonna spend and buy a good Puch moped.

> But good luck!

I'm pretty sure I could buy several running Puchs for the money I'm about to cough up for this project.

And to clear things up..I have some experience myself, but never had an E50. I'm pretty sure it will fit just fine. This moped actually had it stock until 1990'ish when Tunturi for some reason changed the E50/Bing carb to the Morini with Dellorto carb. It might not be a straight fit, but nothing a little welding can't sort.

I also have sandblasting equipment available, so might do the frame, too.

I will order bits and pieces every month, and hopefully have everything ready before next season.

Now I'm waiting for the engine to arrive from the Netherlands. First step is to clean it up, and decide on what crankshaft I want. That will be the next order, along with clutch, all the bearings, seals, clips, bolts, washers etc..

I was thinking of getting a Swiing crankshaft. I'm sure any quality crank would do, especially since I'm not building any kind of top-end monster racer, but the Swiing just seems..nice :) And Swiss-made. Can't be bad!

They have it at Puchshop..

Rito is my second alternative, but I'm reading really mixed reviews about them. I guess my previous argument stands here also, any crank would actually do and getting some expensive fancy racing crank is pretty much overkill.

..but is there any harm in having one? (edited)

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > Aaron Blair Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Or, you could take the money your gonna spend and buy a good Puch

> moped.

>

> > But good luck!

>

> Yeah, lets not do dumb moped things! Thats the spirit of moped army!

XD

..this actually IS more about the spirit of moped building. Or a middle age crisis :) Definitely no lack of dumb ideas here!

..even the slightest whiff of that magical eau de two-storke has a tendency to bring up good memories from the times when mopeds were mopeds, no internet with web shops and manuals..

I guess this time I do it because I can. I have the means, the workspace, tools and equipment, inspiration to actually 'build' a moped, and not just repair or clean a carb.

..and about the ignition. I will go with point ignition, probably Bosch.

IMG_20190906_214643.jpg

I do more than change alarm clock batteries. Pulled this from my kitchen drawer..the spoons, forks and knives were to the right :)

And so it begins..

Wife: Why is the dishwasher running? Didn't you do all the dishes yesterday?

Me: Yeah, just rinsing some pans and kettles..

Wife: What pans? They're all clean in the cabinet.. Dude, please tell me you're not washing that dirty engine you ordered in our dishwasher! Wtf man..

Me: Hey, it's not a dirty engine! It's a Puch E50..and not that dirty at all..

1 year old son (heard the word for engine): Wroooom, Brrrmmmmm!!!!!

Wife: Whatever.. *deep sigh*

IMG_20190909_175940.jpg

Dishes done!

IMG_20190909_215122.jpg

Far from done..but it's a start! :D

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

Oooo an M101k!!! I was looking for an Tunturi city manual for a while since I knew the later model used the M101. When you're ready to sell let me know! :D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account