Garelli gas tank leaking from bottom

I have a garelli super sport xl that leaks fuel from the bottom of the tank. When I noticed the problem and saw gas dripping I tried to wipe it away with a rag and a small rubber piece broke off the bottom. Almost looks like a drain plug but I don't know enough to even guess. Anyone know what this is/was? What the effect of not having it will be? Ideas for how to fix? The moped does start and seems to run well. Thanks!

20190829_183119.jpg
20190829_181429.jpg

Re: Garelli gas tank leaking from bottom

20190829_191722.jpg
20190829_191626.jpg
20190829_191722.jpg

Could this be where the fuel line used to come out? The piece of rubber I'm holding came off the metal nipple in the other picture. Is the rubber piece called a vacuum cap?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Yes, that is a vacuum cap. The cap is sealing off what used to be the port where the oil injection hose used to attach to. I'm assuming the oil injection bottle is either missing or disconnected. Just put a new cap on it and call it a day.

Thanks for confirming!

Ya, what Lar said.

A nylon vacuum cap will work too. If its a tight enough fit you wont need the clamps. Remove gas cap and look inside tank and you will see the other end of steel tube.

Thanks! You guys and this website are the shiz. I'm sure I'll be back with more noob questions

I am a little late to the party here. but I had the same issue when I bought my ssxl and I had a really hard time finding a rubber nipple to fit it. so I ended up just sealing it off with gasket maker and it has never leaked since. quick and easy and cheap.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account