best way to restore pitted exhaust?

G5S Minarelli V1 stock pipe (pictured) is in fine condition structurally, but could use a serious rust-removal facelift. I want this sucker to shine.

I took a hefty layer off with Evapo-Rust, but I'm still not getting the "so-clean-you-could-eat-off-of-it" results I was hoping for. Next step is sand blasting, which I think should really power through the heavier stuff, but after that is where my head starts to spin.

My Q is this: With so many damn body fillers/fast-etching sprays/rust converters out there, what's the best way to fill in the pits on this guy and restore the surface/chrome (that isn't going to break the bank)?

I have no idea where to start. If someone could point me towards a good tutorial (or just give me a step-by-step with your favorite products,) I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

Image from iOS (13).jpg
Image from iOS (15).jpg
Image from iOS (16).jpg

Re: best way to restore pitted exhaust?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

If the chrome is gone, there’s nothing you can do to get it back. Your only options are to paint it, rechrome it (which is expensive) or just replace it with another stock exhaust. They are out there.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

That looks like it was a stock a 3 pipe and they are were flat painted black they were never Chrome so just scrape it with a wire brush and spray it with that barbecue paint enamel base high temp and you get what you pay for yeah you paid more for the good stuff that won't burn off and if your pipes getting that hot there might be a problem anyway

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

That’s a Minarelli pipe, not Tomos. Also Tomos a3’s absolutely came with chrome pipes.(edited)

I'd just throw some bbq black paint on it. If you want a nice one, you'll have to hunt down a better example.

Sandblasting won't restore the chrome. If you're lucky, it'll remove all of it. And it won't remove pits, either.

Sandblasting just removes paint, rust, and peeling chrome. It doesn't remove pits in hard metal. While it is abrasive, it doesn't sand down pitted metal to a clean, shiny surface. You'll end up with a dull grey pipe, that you'll have to physically sand a lot to make it smooth.

Either buy a better chrome one, or use a few coats of BBQ paint like everyone else recommended.

yeah worst case is the sandblasting will leave lots of frayed bits of chrome/copper, which you will have to cleanup with a flapper grinder disc.

i have todo that shizzle all the time at work when we blast chrome

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I have a tomos a3 stock pipe, they came in chrome and black depending on year and model.

Regarding the exhaust, Hit it with high temp primer, be patient enough to let it dry, hit it with high temp enamel, call it finished.

That's the answer I was looking for! It's a stock General 5 Star pipe but I'm sure the procedure's the same. What do you use for primer/enamel?

So I get that I can't remove the pits: what I'm wondering is how to best fill them so I can create the smooth surface you mentioned. S'all good if I can't get this back to straight chrome I guess, but if I'm going to spray paint it black or silver or something I'd at least like it to look clean.

> Conor Hassett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So I get that I can't remove the pits: what I'm wondering is how to best

> fill them so I can create the smooth surface you mentioned. S'all good

> if I can't get this back to straight chrome I guess, but if I'm going to

> spray paint it black or silver or something I'd at least like it to look

> clean.

Why not simply use the hammered paint ? Imperfections are nicely hidden . Comes in a variety of colors .

Here's a hammered grey :

(edited)

Get it ceramic coated. See if powder coater can apply it heavy enough to hide imperfections. Ceramic is used on exhausts systems for more than one reason.

Bad Cadillac™ /

That's as good as it's going to get. The only option for you to do it yourself is to paint it now.

If you want to re-chorme it and make it shine it can be done my a shop but all those pit marks need to be filled in first. Take it to a shop and get a quote, it can be done if you want to drop the money into it.

Just buy a new pipe. Your gonna want an expansion chamber at some point anyway..

Any filler if going to offgas and ruin your paint when it gets hot.

10 coats of BBQ paint should fill those pits.

Another option, like the hammered paint, is Rust-Oleum textured paint. They make a black that looks good, kinda like cast iron. Should work on the muffler part, but will burn off the header.

Really?? Come on man your smarter than that. Tell you what they have got an engine paint in cans at autozone every color. Withstands temps up to 550. Get a can of it and put 3or4 coats on it. It will make it look so good someone will ask where to buy 1.

While you're at it, just spray bomb the whole thing and everyone will want to buy it.

moped-army-edf4151bb7f840344d445a91c69fb142.jpg

toss it in thescrao pile.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account