Wheels locked up

Andrew Leone /

I just picked up a 1965 Allstate scooter and both wheels are completely locked up. I had this with another moped that I destroyed trying to break it free. If there are any tricks to breaking them free that would be helpful.

I'm assuming the brakes have just rusted and expanded so much that they are not allowing the wheel to spin.

Re: Wheels locked up

pull the wheels off, spray a bunch of shit in there and wiggle and work it. don't bash it, at least not right away. eventually you will be able to et a tiny bit like a few mm of motion and then it starts going faster cuz you can work stuff in there and knock out the dust. I just had to do this about a month ago. lots of time. use time & patience instead of just brute force and eventually you get there. you can maybe grip the brake drum & stay in a vise and grip the wheel like a steering wheel for leverage,

Andrew Leone /

Thanks, but it's not moving at all. I've poured a bunch of oil in the drum cavity and let it sit and keep trying but there is zero movement.

I'm going to try rigging something where I can use a threaded rod to try and spin it (hard to explain what I'm thinking). I'll share it if it works.

> Andrew Leone Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'll share it if it

> works.

Share it either way .

We need to know what does AND what does not work .

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’d try heat to expand the metal and break the rust.

Andrew Leone /

Here's my first go at it. Conceptually, it's working but a few things to change

The problem is that the wheel is rotating. I don't want to use the chain sprocket because I have to perform the same task on the front wheel as well and want to verify i can do it this way.

I have to get a bigger ratchet strap to grab more tire. Also, going to put a little air in the tires. Also, I'm going to move the location of the strap connection so that it's pulling more in perpendicular to the board.

20190913_102756.jpg
20190913_102804.jpg

Those from a compact? Neat!

Hit those bearings with a torch. Ur gonna replace em' anyway. Squirt some kroil in there too.good stuff

Andrew Leone /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Those from a compact? Neat!

>

> Hit those bearings with a torch. Ur gonna replace em' anyway. Squirt

> some kroil in there too.good stuff

So you're thinking torch right down the axle hole? I guess I'm confused as to what is holding it up from spinning. Is it typically the brake assembly rusted to the inside of the wheel or is it something to do with the bearings? I was able to get a look at the bearings on the sprocket side and it doesn't look seized up, still packed with grease.

I'm going to try rigging it up again and hitting it with a torch as you and Lar suggested.

what a contraption. id just stick that hub in a vise and wiggle the rim making sure the brake lever isn't set to locked.

Brakes probably de lamed the friction material and jammed in the hub.

Andrew Leone /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Brakes probably de lamed the friction material and jammed in the hub.

I think you might be right. I was able to rip apart an old wheel that was also seized up and the friction plate was separated from the brake pad.

So... I probably don't want to put it into my contraption and heat it because that could potentially make it worse.

I'll try just heating it first and go from there.

If all else fails, I'll just have to cut off the brake assembly and find a new one.

Would probably be easier to source a whole hub and spokes than it would to just find a brake plate.

Andrew Leone /

OK, i'm throwing in the towel on this. I can't get it to budge. I torched the hell out of it and can't get it to move at all.

Just going to cut it out. I believe I found a replacement.

Maybe I'll come up with a better idea after I see what's inside.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

I would try slipping an L shaped slide hammer tip into the brake plate. Stand on the tire and rim then gently tap it off. Heating the outside of the brake drum might help too.

Andrew Leone /

> Frank Bailey (MOPITT) Wrote:

> I would try slipping an L shaped slide hammer tip into the brake plate.

> Stand on the tire and rim then gently tap it off. Heating the outside

> of the brake drum might help too.

Thanks Frank. I'm going to try messing with it a little more today.

Try a heat gun first and take it outside on concrete away from your house. Can u remove all the axle hardware from the other side including the outer race and it's lock nut and tap the axle from that side ?

Andrew Leone /

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Try a heat gun first and take it outside on concrete away from your

> house. Can u remove all the axle hardware from the other side including

> the outer race and it's lock nut and tap the axle from that side ?

The axle is out. I tried pounding out from the sprocket side by hammering the spacer but it didn't budge. I'm going to try prying off the plate today.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account