Re: Noob needs some advice

Larry Baltz /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 70 should be way too big. If it's stock,try a 52.

Hi Don,

While waiting for the smaller (50's) jets, I disassembled, checked, and decarbed the piston, head, and cylinder and replaced the gaskets. It looked like new inside so reassembled and saw no great improvement. Sluggish start and top speed is 25 mph on a slight decline. I figure I'd check timing and it was advanced 50% farther than factory spec (opening the points very late about .75 mm btdc). Fixed that, gapped to .4 mm and wow what a difference! Fast start off the line and top speed is now 28-29 mph on the flat.

The jets arrived and I swapped down from a 68 to a 58 (largest I ordered in the 50's) and it would barely run, and then only on full choke. I'm guessing I need to stick with the bigger jets. FWIW, the Delloto has the plastic "12" slide...

Is it worth replacing the reeds on this and should I take the plunge and replace the bottom seals/gasket? It's not 4 stroking, the stock exhaust baffle is cut to 3.5" so how fast should I expect this to go?

Lots of questions and thanks to everyone for the help so far and in the future

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account