New here.

Pete Vanderberry /

Hey guys,

So I got a 78 puch newport as a project and have it back together and running. However, my only complaint is a weak horn. Which I need here in Vermont as I have to have it inspected, if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it

Re: New here.

When you rev the engine up while the bike is on the center stand, the horn should get a little louder. It's going to be weak at idle just like the lights are dimmer because it's powered off a coil and the magneto rather than a battery. Maybe you can explain that during the inspection? "It's louder when I need it to be"

Pete Vanderberry /

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Even at a higher rpm it's still pretty weak. I may just put a squeeze horn on it for inspection, but its something I'd like to figure out down the road. I've worked on Vespas and chinese bikes before, but this is a whole different animal

Yeah Puch actually did make a branded squeeze horn to mount on the handle bars. I wonder if it's because they just never could get the 6v horn system to be loud enough.

That's something like I told my girlfriend " it's bigger when I need it to be". Sorry, my bad! ;)

Drake Abrahamsson /

I mean I couldn’t help you with wiring or anything but I just did a quick “12v horn” search on treatland and found a few

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=12v+horn

I think the horn is part of the ignition system electricity wise so I’m not sure how you’d figure that wiring out but maybe this is the start of a solution?

I mean technically you could hide a charged 12v Lithium Ion battery like under the seat or side covers, and wire the horn and horn button to that. Just for the test.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account