No Spark help

Hawthorne Swan-Scott /

So I am finishing a Puch Newport but I am not getting a spark from the plug, I have tried buying a new spark plug but still nothing, the light and horn both work when I try to kick it over but no spark any ideas??

Re: No Spark help

i stick to 70s hondas but most of the bikes i buy need a new spark plug boot so check that

Check the boot to ensure it’s tightened on the lead and actually making contact with the wire inside, check that the lead is tightened onto the coil.

Check the points and replace if needed and replace the condenser too. Are you getting any thing from the coil? If not then points/condenser

Hawthorne Swan-Scott /

So in my efforts to find what is wrong with the spark, I have found that I am getting like 6 plus volts from the ignition coil while I pedal it connecting a multimeter to ground and inside the spark plug boot. If that helps with anything

Chris Carleton /

Stick a nail file between points and give it a few strokes should do it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

6 volts from the HT dear God man if you mean the signal wire going to vht coil then you have your coil switched if it's a constant 6 volts the ignition coil or rather the signal that goes to the HT should be somewhere around 4 and it should only be momentary like a spike yeah you really can't test nht coil with a meter detest the HT coil you put a 9 volt negative ground on the frame from a battery and then you momentarily touch it to the HT signal with a spark plug laying on the head and you should see a nice bright Spark if the coil is good the internal lighting coil can be tested by running the 9-volt through it it should magnetized if it's good if it's bad it will heat up where the short is I would look up the pook safety bypass for the horn circuit if your horn wires are on wrong it won't start if it will start with the front brake held in its the safety feature

« Go to Topic — end of thread