General 5 Star - Wiring Mystery

Hey I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have been to trying to fix up an old general 5-star Minarelli v1 moped and am only able to get spark if I wire it for that i.e. skip over all the other components. After reading several forum posts I realized the electrical system is relatively complex for a moped with a battery, horn, and turn signals and decided to try and just simplify the system and run the tail and headlights directly off the magneto.

I made a new wiring diagram and built a new harness but am still unable to get spark. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Im attaching the original diagram as well as my edited one. Please let me know if it looks like it should work.

General-Minarelli-Engine-Wiring1.jpg
General-Minarelli-Engine-Wiring(no frills).jpg

Re: General 5 Star - Wiring Mystery

Check kill switch.

Run blue wire through load resistor to ground.

Is this the load resistor?

IMG-1050.jpg

I dont know.

Never worked on one.

Whats the color of wire going in?

Throw a meter on each end and test ohms.

Ok so the meter reads ~5.4 ohms and the wires coming in and out are black which clearly doesn't line up with the diagram. From what I can tell it has to be either the load resistor or the silicon rectifier but since I don't know what either of those things is supposed to look like i'm stumped.

After following your advice and checking the kill switch ( its working fine), I decided to go through and test continuity throughout every component and junction and after a couple minor adjustments, I'm now getting spark but only when running the blue wire directly from the magneto to ground. But when I tried going through that component before grounding the blue wire, I got no spark.

How important is the load resistor? Am I going to blow my taillight without one? If I do need one, what type/rating of resistor do I need? I can't seem to find the rating labeled in any manual or diagram. Thanks

The rectifier is a diode. Test in both directions to see if it's a resistor or diode you have.

Diode is for using a.c. to charge d.c. battery.

Neither are for lights. Lights are on seperate circuit with black wire.

Also,

You have no power source for your brake light.

Screenshot_2019-08-14-04-07-49.png

I can fix the brake circuit.

Check that so called resistor. I have a feeling it's a diode. Some meters have a diode tester, some dont. Test it in both directions. Diode symbol looks like this:

diode-512.png
Screenshot_2019-08-14-04-34-29.png

(edited)

Hmm for some reason i thought the taillight was energized by the yellow wire from the headlight. If it’s not powered by that circuit why is it connected to it? If it’s not clear already my understanding of electronics is limited.

I tested in both directions and got OL readings which led me to pull it apart where i found this

8ABAFBE9-CC6F-4BF3-A282-0FA9C4AAC909.jpeg

So its definitely a resistor.

I hate the general wiring. It might be the worst.

> Adam Roth Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm for some reason i thought the taillight was energized by the yellow

> wire from the headlight. If it’s not powered by that circuit why is it

> connected to it? If it’s not clear already my understanding of

> electronics is limited.

>

> I tested in both directions and got OL readings which led me to pull it

> apart where i found this

>

> So its definitely a resistor.

I said brake light NOT tail light.....look again. One bulb with two filaments needs two complete curcuits.

Your "OL" reading was on what setting?

That resistor looks to be of the 50's era design. Its a 7ohm resistor. The 5 is percent of allowable variance.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread