Vespa Euro Clutch Repair

For the life of me I cannot get the big securing nut off the clutch. Is it reverse threaded? Is it ok to put the clutch in a vice so I can get some leverage? Do I have to depress the spring? Any advice would help...

Re: Vespa Euro Clutch Repair

Did you check your starter clutch Nathan? I'm pretty sure that spring has got some wicked tension to it.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

The big nut that holds the pulley cheeks/ contra spring on? That's not reverse threaded.

I always use an impact wrench to take that off. There's a locking washer under it.

Dr George, is there a tool or method to compress the spring, when rebuilding?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dr George, is there a tool or method to compress the spring, when

> rebuilding?

A friend to hold it down or put the nut on helps but I've put stiffer springs on by myself when no ones around. Just put the clutch on a table or whatever and push the plates on over the spring and thread the nut on a turn or two so you can rest before sending it home. The swearing helps.

I like to put it on the floor and hold it down with the toes of my boots then quickly get a few threads on.

For removing I use a large adjustable wrench. Get it on there pretty good and snug. Then I grab the clutch, with wrench still attached, and smack the end of the wrench handle on the table or floor. Knocks it loose everytime and I dont have to dig out my big impact. Vice grips work too if the nut is all rounded off. That's how I figured this out the first time.

There is a Vespa tool to compress it so as to safely remove the nut. It exists because I own it.

Great info. It's not reverse threaded and you have to compress the contra spring.

I'll try it!

i like to put the nut in a vise and use a strap wrench to break it free. then i will compress the spring with my feet with the clutch on the ground and spin it off by hand and slowly release the tension. dont put your fuckin face over it, if you slip and it flies off, it will maim you real bad. lots of tension

if you want to quell your nerves a bit, this tool makes it very safe and easy. i bought one because i have million vespas and i've used the tool a hundred times and is very worth it to me. it will also save you from it exploding unexpectedly. but with a bit of care, you don't need the tool.

even with the tool, i retorque the contra nut with a vise and strap wrench

Buy the tool which makes it simple. I'm

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account