12V Hobbit, all converted, but no brake light?

Hi Everyone, im at the end of my rope on troubleshooting. I've upgraded my hobbit to HPI CDI 12V, amazing love it.... but because of that i've converted the headlamp to 12V, and the back taillight and brakelights to 12V. The only thing not 12V right now is the horn.

Everything works great, all running lights and headlamp work.... all except the damn brake lights.

Before changing over the CDI from stock, brake lights worked fine. I even swapped the bulbs (top to bottom and bottom to top) and its not a burned out bulb. I then pushed power from the white line directly to the brake light (green/yellow) from within the front headlamp and the brake light came on, so i know its not a break/short in the line. I thought what could be going on, disconnected the horn just to be sure that its not causing a problem, still no joy. I've swapped out the hobbit tail light holder for another, same thing. I've reversed the wires just for the sake of argument and of course the brake light stays on but the running light doesnt, so it can't be the harness in the back.

I will note that i did not have a 10W and 5W 12V bulb so im running two 10W's for now but i dont see how that would matter. I should also note the new 12V headlamp has no highbeam so 'blue" isn't being used.

If one brake worked and the other didnt, then i'd say the brake button maybe broken, but its both not working and both worked fine before the swap.

Just kind of out of troubleshooting ideas, any thoughts would be helpful. I have all the wiring diagrams already, so no need to provide those.. it is wired correctly. I really can only think that its something wrong with the black line, but i don't see any short or bad connection.

I should also state that there's no rectifier/regulator on it. I have one of these but it isnt installed yet. https://www.treatland.tv/trail-tech-voltage-regulator-p/trail-tech-regulator-7003-ac01.htm . I wouldnt think this is the problem though, but i could be wrong.

Thanks!

Re: 12V Hobbit, all converted, but no brake light?

someone said you have to upgrade the switches in the brake lever to 12v switches? (stock handles and stuff) .. is that true?

so switches appear to be an issue, you can't use 12V systems with stock honda brake levers? odd, but maybe that is the case.

i luckily have a rear brake line with a built in switch, but its been disconnected this whole time as it wasnt needed. this might save me from swapping brake levers.. but the wires off of it are green and white. Just not sure where to wire these inline. anyone have experience getting those to work?

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hobbit-rear-cable-plus-wires

No u can use the brake switches on the brakes 6 or 12. So the brake light circuit is clearly on the OEM wiring diagram. It's on the wiki. Post it and then we will proceed.

Honey badger don't...oops, I mean the switches could care less about the voltage.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Honey badger don't...oops, I mean the switches could care less about the

> voltage.

They might care , but , they don't have anything to say about it . LOL

Screenshot_20190811-090830.png

So why don't ya start here !!! Somewhere it's wrong on ur bike

Ok I'll make it simple!! You see the red wire !! When u move to a 12 v single lighting cool u gotta connect that red wire to the 12 v AC power lead of the magneto. Then if the rest of the wiring hasn't been raped hard it will power the brake lights via the black wire at the ignition switch when on.

hey marc, bingo bango dodge durango... ill give that a try even though i've already rewired (As per below) and got it working in a janky way.

i've actually rewired the entire thing, and what the culprit looks like was the harness in the left handle (stock)... it just couldn't take the 12V for whatever reason (possibly damaged who knows).

yellow from the hpi cdi goes to trail-tech dialabrightness regulator AND also Y's to the running lights (and headlamp and horn). Brown from regulator powers the brake lights (as soon as the regulator was on the brake light started working) only.

So its janky, but it works.

Preferably i'd like it all on the regulator (headlamp, horn, brake and tail light) but whatever.. it just doesnt want to jive all together. Perhaps powering the redline as stated by marc will fix the whole thing.. ill give it a try to see.

none the less, the issue is 'resolved' just in a roundabout way.

and yes, regarding the switches, it totally seemed to be a red herring to me, thats why i didnt think thats what it was when i was told (on FB hobbit group).(edited)

i figured as much and didnt really think that was the problem anyway.

« Go to Topic — end of thread