Just bought FA50 and need some help!

So I just picked up a 1982 FA50 in pretty rough shape and started tearing it down. I’ve got every step in the service manual no problem but need some help on how to remove the choke cable and throttle cable from the carburetor. I got the nut off of the choke cable and the cap off the throttle cable but I can’t figure out how to get the cables to release. Thanks!

4B84DACD-0417-47FE-9A4E-5D3BC71738A2.jpeg

Re: Just bought FA50 and need some help!

Pull both straight up and out . There's not much room , so push the throttle bend into the frame as you pull it up . The throttle will have the carb slide attached , which has to come all the way out . Then you'll see how the cable detaches . Pretty much the same with the choke .

I always just leave the choke puck attached .

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s what I’ve been trying for an hour now. Any reason why they wouldn’t pull out easily? I feel like it’s going to break if I try and pull on them any harder.

> Thomas Hunter Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the quick reply. That’s what I’ve been trying for an hour

> now. Any reason why they wouldn’t pull out easily? I feel like it’s

> going to break if I try and pull on them any harder.

Tight fit . Just work the slide up and the bend back into the frame grommet . The slide will just clear the carb body .

The choke should be a straight up slide out .

If you intend cleaning the carb , it should be removed and all jets and every passage cleared . The float needle seat should be polished to a bright shine . Use Q tips and brasso or the like for that .

Don't forget the passage in the bottom of the bowl side .

I use only brake cleaner as it cuts crud quicker and leaves no residue .

Spray it through all passages and be sure to see it exit where it's suppose to . Follow that with compressed air for best results .

Ok, I got the throttle out. As for the choke, I got it pulled out enough to see inside and the aluminum looks corroded so that would explain why it isn’t coming out. Going to try to soak in penetrating oil. And yes, this bike has been sitting for 10+ years so I’m definitely cleaning the carb. Thanks for the pointers!

Need to unhook the other side and while holding the piece that’s goes into the carb it should realize. Goggle it and it should show it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account