DT50 Ignition help

Hello,

I have a DT50 that I have been trying to get going. Its rough, but mostly works. I cleaned out the carb and got it started, then I put it away for a week and it won't start. Searching for info led me here!

I got a DT50 that gets no spark. It won't fire with plug in engine. With the plug out, I get occasional spark, but mostly no spark. It could be the coil or CDI, but not sure how to test them? Anyone have resistance numbers for the primary and secondary coil? What about the CDI, is there any way to test them with a DVM? (My search on the internet said there is no way to really test the CDI)

If the CDI is busted I think a PW50 CDI box will fit, but I will need to change the connectors. Is there a cheap decent brand to get and try out the CDI? The CDI boxes on Amazon get horrible reviews? The OEM CDI box is pricey. (I need to make sure it starts running before I spend any more money on it.)

Thank you for your time.

Re: DT50 Ignition help

Dirty30 Dillon /

There are 2-3 different sensors on a DT50 that will kill spark, such as kickstand, and low oil sensors. I think there is a 3rd but can't recall.

Any of these could be your problem. In addition to a shorted wire, or a failed part.

Giving us some more back ground info would help.

So finally a follow up. Turned out the resistor on the spark plug was wonky. I took it off and threaded it back in and it started sparking again.

Will probably change to a fresh coil once I figure out the carb again. Will start a new post on it.

Thanks.

> Mr Chubbins Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So finally a follow up. Turned out the resistor on the spark plug was

> wonky. I took it off and threaded it back in and it started sparking

> again.

>

> Will probably change to a fresh coil once I figure out the carb again.

> Will start a new post on it.

>

> Thanks.

What ??? There is no resistor ON the spark plug .

There might be one in the plug cap . Maybe that's what you mean ?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account