Honda Urban Express Wiring / Battery

Hey all,

Recently picked up an Urban Express for my girlfriend and am working on getting it street legal. The previous owner used it mainly for family camping trips and it sounds like over time two things happened: the battery died and the engine stop switch broke off. I'm not sure what order these happened in.

In response to this it sounds like they (or someone else) rigged up the bike to just kickstart with the key turned in the ignition and then just kill the engine with the key again. To do this it looks like they did some connecting with starter/brake wiring and then something with the battery connections. The bike runs, which is great, but because the break light is disconnected (The other side is not connecting either, thought the wiring is intact I believe the switch is broken) she doen't have a workign breaklight. The tail light doesn't seem to illuminate, though the headlight does. I replaced the break/tail light in case it was partially the bulb. I bought a whole new controls setup for that side (break lever/throttle/ignition) so I have all the intact wiring and new run/kill switch. I am just worried once I connect all that in that the bike won't start the same way.

Breaklight/Ignition:

PhotoAug0154939PM.jpg

Battery Connection:

PhotoAug0154833PM.jpg

New controls:

PhotoAug0162008PM.jpg

My end goal here is to decipher what the heck is going on here so that I can most importantly make sure she has working running lights and brake lights and the bike still runs. If I can just hook a battery back up that would be the best so that I could get the blinkers and correct warning lights working.

(Thanks for bearing with me. This is my first post on here.)

Re: Honda Urban Express Wiring / Battery

Go here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vxdUocvohov-VU1KVuOY-9YquFpw7fok

Download the shop manual . It has a wiring diagram .

You should be able to figure out the BRAKE lights as well as the battery and blinkers . Once you get that done , you can take a break . ;)

That does look like a real mess I got the same bike but mine aint got electric start kick start only wish i could help but i dont have to much knowledge with the wiring.

Yeah, I was looking at that already.

I figured the brake light would be the easy part to wire back up. My main worry was if I correct the wiring to the brake light then the kickstart will no longer work.

Can I keep running it without the battery? Will that slowly destroy the lights over time?

I'm pretty new to the electrical side of things.

(lol, yeah, sorry for all the Break/Brake misspelling. It's been a long work day).

> Nick Yeska Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That does look like a real mess I got the same bike but mine aint got

> electric start kick start only wish i could help but i dont have to

> much knowledge with the wiring.

Haha, yeah it seemed like less of a problem than it was when I was buying the thing.

But once I started looking at what they did I started panic a little. I don't even need the electric start part. I starts immediately when kickstarting. It would just be nice to have fully working lights/

Captain Janeway /

One of the wires with the battery ( the one with that little bracket) looks like one that hooks to battery + lead. Attach a connector of some type to green wire and hook to - on battery. Red lines in center should have a fuse in between the metal pieces. Post a better picture so I can double-check the hook up I outlined.

Read manual and look at wiring diagram.

DON'T RUN WITHOUT THE BATTERY. YOU'LL BLOW ALL YOUR LIGHTS!

Check diagram to make sure the lights wires all match up.

Double check those bulbs again. Turning on just the ignition shoot give you blinkers and turn signals. Bike needs to be on to get headlight.

Good luck-- read manual

Yep, check the bulb, if blown, replace and see if it works at idle, get battery back in play.

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> One of the wires with the battery ( the one with that little bracket)

> looks like one that hooks to battery + lead. Attach a connector of some

> type to green wire and hook to - on battery. Red lines in center should

> have a fuse in between the metal pieces. Post a better picture so I can

> double-check the hook up I outlined.

>

> Read manual and look at wiring diagram.

>

> DON'T RUN WITHOUT THE BATTERY. YOU'LL BLOW ALL YOUR LIGHTS!

>

> Check diagram to make sure the lights wires all match up.

>

> Double check those bulbs again. Turning on just the ignition shoot give

> you blinkers and turn signals. Bike needs to be on to get headlight.

>

> Good luck-- read manual

Thanks for the analysis! I spent a lot of time looking at the wiring diagram and manual last night and your breakdown of things confirms a lot of what I was guessing at.

I'm definitely setting getting a new battery as my number one priority before messing with anything else.

One thing I'm unsure of is how to connect a fuse to such wiring. I've been trying to find tutorials online, but I've been having a hard time probably due to the lack of correct electrical language to describe what I am looking for. Most tutorials that pop up are for the little staple/key looking fuses on cars rather than the glass tube looking fuse that's used on this bike.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't any more "creative" wiring anywhere else on the bike. This looks pretty straight forward once I get the battery and the fuse in place.

You don't have to use a glass tube fuse .

When possible , I replace them with blade fuses .

Just install the holder in place of the former 'holder' and you have a corrosion free set up .

99 cents on Ebay or cheap at any auto parts store . ;)

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

Captain Janeway /

> P D Wrote:

> You don't have to use a glass tube fuse .

>

> When possible , I replace them with blade fuses .

>

> Just install the holder in place of the former 'holder' and you have a

> corrosion free set up .

>

> https://www.automarinecables.com/userfiles/images/circuit-protection/detailed/fh620(1).jpg

Thanks. I hadn't seen these before. If I ever feel like fixing a chewed up bike I'll remember it.

>

> 99 cents on Ebay or cheap at any auto parts store . ;)

« Go to Topic — end of thread