1977 Vespa ciao piaggio Loud and shaky sounding

Bought this bike a couple of months ago and it ran great till one day it quit. The exhaust was welded by the previous owner and it popped loose and I figured that was the issue so I replaced the exhaust then I got the wrong exhaust so I had to modify it to make it work and I got it on and I got it runnin but it revs way too high to even get crawling and gets really loud and sounds really bad. Im scared to give it full and actually get going fast because it sounds so much worse than before.

Re: 1977 Vespa ciao piaggio Loud and shaky sounding

Sounds like you should put the PO modified pipe back on , after it gets 'unpopped' .

This is the PO pipe, when I say popped, you can see where it was welded, when it quit on me that was even worse and it would run for a min then quit and I was thinkin it was that leak. I ordered a new techno circuit and it didn’t exactly fit but I made it work.

657020F5-8DBE-4F86-8435-1F39F475FCF9.jpeg

I’m gonna post videos shortly so hopefully you all will be able to hear it and tell me what’s going on. Also the belt is shaking a lot even at an idle.

Have you checked the woodruff key? If it's being bent or getting broken the timing will get off and the sound of the engine is like it's back firing, loud and shaking.

When you run it on the stand is the drive belt in good relationship to the front and rear pulleys ? . Or is this a single speed. In any case allignment check.

Then listen to the sound of it running for exhaust leak. If there is a sizeable exhaust leak it will be loud and run erratically. The rear wheel to sub interface is also critical to make sure anything rotating isn't rubbing. There should be zero leak at the exhaust

Where's the video so we can see what's happening?

Okay so 1st I’m not sure how to check the woodruff key is it also know as magneto key? For the exhaust I even put aluminum tape on the header to try and prevent a leak. Im new to moped mechanics so bear with me. Also I’m not sure how to share videos on here, only pics. It says sum bout a video link?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account