1982 Honda urban express surges at high rpm.

My 1982 Honda urban express is boggy at high rpm but it will have quick little surges for a 5-10 seconds but then its boggy again i cleaned the carb many many times now with my ultrasonic cleaner carb cleaner and compressed air still it barly hits 20 MPH it should be close to 30. The Carberator and jets are all stock.

Re: 1982 Honda urban express surges at high rpm.

Was it running well previously? Any work done to it? Stock or modified in any way? Good factory air filter?

I got it for free I cleaned the Carb to get it running then I replaced the drive belt i cleaned the gas tank then its been having trouble so ive cleaned it 4 or 5 times now still aint running right i think its getting worse. the air cleaner is in good clean condition the carb and carb jets and muffler are all stock. The onley ting i can think of is crap somewhere between the tank and carb not getting enough fuel.

Ultrasonic is not the end all cleaner .

Sometimes the tiny passages do not come clean and have to be manually opened .

Then blown through with brake cleaner , followed by compressed air . It should be noted while spraying brake cleaner through passages that the cleaner exits where it's suppose to . That's the only way to know for sure what is clean .

You should clean the exhaust , as it might be clogged . Both the port and the muffler . The muffler can be cleaned with oven cleaner or a caustic drain opener . Either are cheap at dollar stores .

Shawn Manthey /

Have you checked fuel flow to the carb? What about the fuel shut off valve?

Captain Janeway /

Read this and read the maintenance section in the manual

https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

You're not bogging its called fourstroking. I bet you didnt hook the vacuum choke up right or there is a rag in the air box.

Captain Janeway /

If you think it's the gas tank, pull the line and run some gas into a container. Do you have a nice run of gas or is it choking along? Look at the gas in container. Do you see a lot of crud in it? You're tank's still dirty, so you're probably going to have to clean carb yet again and use tiny pieces of wire to clean all the holes. Get a filter on that line or this will continue.

Do you get it running at all to be able to ride it? Look up wiki for fourstroking and see if it sounds like it applies. Low end running is OK

When you have that carb out, check the jet number. It's really tiny and stamped towards the bottom. If it's an 85, it should still be running fine stock.

« Go to Topic — end of thread