1991 Tomos A35 Bullet problems

Brandon Rudd /

Hey guys,

So, I'm very new to mopeds and especially working on them. I bought a 1991 Tomos a couple weeks ago and I'm having some problems with it.

My main problem is that most of the time it has a difficult job getting into second gear (not all of the time though). Also, sometimes when I start from a complete stop, it takes forever to get it up to a decent speed. Any thoughts?

Sorry I'm such a novice. I may not even understand some of the responses. Thanks for the help anyways!

20190727_130220.jpg

Re: 1991 Tomos A35 Bullet problems

Brandon Rudd /

There is also a slow leak of gas/oil....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Up there in the pull-down menu is the wiki look up Tomas get the manual go over it there's a troubleshooting guide but first thing you can do is make sure you're pre mixing 50 to 1 and you block off the oil reservoir if it has one after that run it with the cap off the gas cap sometimes the vent is clogged and it will stop it from going into second after that you're going to have to get your hands dirty and open it up I would buy the freaking gaskets and seals if you're planning to keep it you can buy the whole set or you could buy just the case one but when you take it apart be careful and you could reuse the old one or you some kind of yamabond okay after taking off the pedal with the spring carefully keep all that stuff together what you want going to want to do is get yourself like a masonry hammer or something with a nice little claw now with the engine still on the bike the carburetor off you should be able to use the claw and Brace the hammer against the bike particularly the Bolt and then with a quick hard-hit it should pop the case right off if the bearing is stuck on the crank you used the claw and like a bottle opener and you should be able to pry it off the crank and then take the nut off bye holding the flywheel with like an oil wrench or a strap wrench or you can use a piston stop carefully with a rubber tip and what you want to do is get the clutch Bell off chances are you need new shoes or a break strip for 3 or 6 you might need 6 shoes it takes a lot to put it together you may want to just buy it all together on the Hub it's worth it if you have the money if not you can leave it all together if all the breaks trips are good you can just repad it and reglue the shoes but go through the diagnosis see if you can fix it before you pop it openg

the top post contains a list of troubleshooting possibilities. my guess...leaky gas equals flooded... get new fuel line add filter to new fuel line, delete oil injection, add fresh premix, new plug and throughly clean carb paying attention to needle and needle seat.

Also your exhaust port or exhaust may be clogged. You have to make power for it to shift well.

Check transmission fluid level and condition.

Brandon Rudd /

Thanks so much for the responses! I'll check them all out!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account