Re: 1994 Tomos Targa LX no spark

Hopefully you know that the HT coil core ( metal part ) has to be thoroughly grounded to the stator base ( motor ) .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's points all the way get a néw condenser for a 70 Chevy or equivalent they're all the same anyways you put it in the electrical system on the ground side of the HT coil so basically where the age t-bolts to you want to mount the condenser so that the frame is held by the mount boat think of it as a balloon for your electrical system it stops the points for marking by allowing the Overflow to be held by the capacitor I would highly suggest you go up into the wiki and get the service manuals and go over the point Style A35 wiring diagram and Magneto out I do believe that one requires the tail light to function for it to start so if you have a burnt-out tail light it would have stopped it from starting or inside of your tail light there is a ceramic resistor hidden underneath the bulbs the plate prize up and you'll see the ceramic resistor sometimes they overheat or get cracked that takes the voltage and gives a resistance Factor to the HT coil if it doesn't have it it won't fire so go over your tail light go over the wiring look up in the wiki get the service manual you may have to set the points you may need a flywheel puller for it you may need a probe but if you look you can bypass the tail light safety feature buy rewiring the tail light and putting the blue blue black wire which would be the return ground from the tail putting it to the frame on both sides so then you're using the frame of the bike for the negative ground instead of relying on it coming from the tail you might have to run a ground strap from the engine to the frame if it has rubber bushings around the bolts

Brycen Deines /

Thanks for your continued help! Got some work to do now...

Brycen Deines /

Couldn't find a resistor anywhere so I'm gonna check the wiring under the fender, one bulb/socket never worked and the housing was loose and will try the rewire ground. Also got a red coil and new plug/wire/boot. Here's hoping...

20190822_193021.jpg
20190822_193044.jpg
20190822_193011.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Wowzers okay you see where that little bracket is there's supposed to be a long ceramic resistor there but they might have switched it to a small one inside of your headlight bucket or on your wiring block if it has the blue black stripe use it put them both the ground the one from the Magneto and the one from the tail if the resistors in place everything should work if it doesn't you can get away with three and a half foot of copper wire rap together like I get out just bundle it all up and tuck it somewhere I got out my meter and that's how much wiring it takes because that's 6 ohms of resistance. After that I would move on to checking the points the feeler foot do you have any lighting at all or is it all out and does it start do you have spark at any time

Brycen Deines /

Only time we had spark was sometimes when we would toggle the killswitch back and forth. After that cut the killswitch wires and unplugged everything to try black wire straight from stator to coil then got 0 spark. You mean in the first pic that empty spot right? I got lost after that part in the response as to how I'm supposed to wire everything. Can I just skip all that bullshit and wire tailight wire to frame? I'll have more info when I pull the rear wheel and look at the wiring under the fender I'm 90% sure is this damn tailight wiring.

im 99 percent sure its your crooked points.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

blue wire with black stripe gets put on the frame on both sides tail and Magneto and like I said you got a check your points like he said your points could be out of whack and that could stop everything but if you have headlight taillight when you turn it over and no spark it's either the safety feature or one of your coils went but I would time it properly first

Brycen Deines /

Will look into points and timing, the lights worked when kicking it except the one tailight bulb.

It's an A35 with the two wire stator so it doesn't have the separate tail light circuit or tail light resistor. The lighting is totally independent from the ignition circuit on this one.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's a point Style with condenser though and I do believe his tail light wiring is all messed

Brycen Deines /

So essentially with it being 2 wire stator (black & yellow) if I'm running black straight to coil and coil is grounded, plug is correct, boot good and wire I should have spark at minimum right unless the coil is bad. New red coil/plug wire/boot/plug are on the way.

Brycen Deines /

I attached pics of the tailight wiring. Didn't seem messed up and if the lighting is independent it shouldn't matter anyway right?

20190826_172837.jpg

Brown is ground, green is the brake light and gray is the tail light. It doesn't affect the spark on this bike though. Basically all you need for spark is to connect the black stator wire to the positive side of the ignition coil, ground the body of the coil to the engine or chassis. Ground the body of the spark plug some bare metal on the engine or chassis. If you don't have spark this way your issue is likely in the points or condenser. Coils can go bad, but they're not usually the problem. I'll usually slip some fine emery paper or a points file through the window in the flywheel and clean the surface of the points, then follow up with a bit of rubbing alcohol on a piece of card paper to clean them up afterwards. Once the paper comes out clean you're good to go. If you do have to pull the flywheel to replace the points or condenser use the correct threaded puller. It'll cost you just under twenty bucks, but it's cheaper than replacing a flywheel that got mangled by a jaw type puller.

Brycen Deines /

Points have been cleaned thoroughly but didn't get any spark. Haven't messed with timing at all or adjusting points cuz it's over my head right now and it seems weird they'd be off considering the bike supposedly ran shortly before I got it. Good to know the lighting wiring isn't a factor. Maybe messed up having my buddy buy the coil etc. but I guess it's a good swap to do anyways. I guess if no spark after that which I'm kind of expecting I'll look up how to swap the condenser. Any solid links on that? Thx

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Keywords is it sort of ran before I got it see the guy lost the timing and it won't start because the timing is off and just like you it's over his head so he just got rid of it now it's your problem set the timing everything you need to know is upstairs in the pull-down window of the wiki you don't need any special tools you could use a pencil and a knife and you just Mark top dead center and bottom dead center and then you measure 2 mm before top dead center and that is a default timing you can time it earlier but for a stock engine that is usually the default now once it's in the ballpark you can fine tune it and dial-in the carb and Pipe

Brycen Deines /

Really appreciate your help man, we all have to start somewhere and I can't stand when guys on here act like jerks or all pretentious when we're all trying to learn together. My buddy and I wanna do the work to learn and see it run as opposed to just buying one working or taking it to a shop so thanks a ton. On to learning timing...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I'll tell you what really helped my understanding of how a Magneto works I looked at the Puch manual that's in the Wiki a za50 is crossed part. It is the same as a Tomas. It explains exactly how they function.

It wouldn't hurt to test it with a new coil, plug wire and cap if you have those on hand. Even if that's not the issue it's not a bad part to have a spare of on hand.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'll tell you what really helped my understanding of how a Magneto works

> I looked at the Puch manual that's in the Wiki a za50 is crossed part.

> It is the same as a Tomas. It explains exactly how they function.

I don't mean to jack the thread , but , Slew ... Thanks for using punctuation . :)

Brycen Deines /

hahaha, fact.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It's cool because this voice app works like the old-timey radio Telegraph thingy stop.

Brycen Deines /

Ok Slew, updates for ya...stop. Apparently getting suspended from work for 3 days allows for a lot of moped progress...stop. : ) Anyways, cleaned the points and gapped the points then moved to setting timing. Borrowed a flywheel puller and bought JIS screwdriver tips to loosen the stator plate screws (huge perk, phillips would've stripped em). Pulled the flywheel and loosened the 3 screws, after finding and marking TDC on the case/flywheel. The way the stator plate is mounted only allows you to shift it like 3mm I'm guessing so timing couldn't really get too fkd off. Then moved to the condenser. Removed that and couldn't find an appropriate one without ordering so I tried to use one from Autozone...no love. We also swapped to a new red coil and NGK wire, cap and plug. Cleaning the points didn't give spark, gapping the points didn't help, couldn't really adjust timing and the new coil pack did nothing for spark. Before we did all this I noticed a spark or 2 at random and that's the best we've ever got. I think the condenser was for an old Chevy and instead of having the threaded top where black blue black wires stacked on and held down by a nut, it had a black wire off it. I got an appropriate bolt, 2 washers and nut and stacked those 3 wires, tightened down to retrofit and 0 love. So, that's where we are at. Ordered the correct condenser and will go from there. Part should be here next Tue and my buddy moves to MN on Saturday so we'll see. Hope I can send him with a running bike.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Is it a 3 or 4 hole case are there three or are there for pylons that amounts on the two lines on the case the bottom one is 4 no gasket and the Top Line is 4 if it has a thick gasket from the factory Now default just use a pencil or even better yet this is the easiest way to get the timing that will run put it to bottom dead center when it's there loosen the Poinsett so that it drops then tighten it now when it revolves and hits the lobe it will open at the proper time if your feel or foot isn't shot or if it's brand-new it might open too far in which case you put it to top dead center and drop a cigarette paper between the points and let him close when you loosen it and then tighten it again so that way it will just be closing at top dead center you can actually said it perfectly by mechanical means and just measuring from the top dead center of the piston with the head off measure 2 mm before top dead center and that's a default setting go a little bit hotter say 1.8 millimeters now even if the timing was totally whacked out it should fire get a 9 volt battery put the negative of it on the ground of the bike and run it across the high-tension coil signal in terminal without the wire on it you should get a big fat Spark if not did Static high-tension coil put a different one in the original the Chevy condenser should work it's just a capacitor if you ground the outside of it that is the negative all you do is put it in line it can be anywhere you can join all those wires that are on that Bolt and just put the condenser where the high-tension coil grounds to the frame and run the ground through itg

Brycen Deines /

Bro your talk to text is killing me haha. I'll try to translate this into the bike though and keep you posted. Gonna re-gap and re-clean points and fiddle with stator plate, hope the new condenser comes quick and go from there. The coil can't be bad it's a brand new red coil from treats.

Brycen Deines /

We're expecting the new condenser today so we'll be back at it. I tried what you said previous with the condenser that isn't the right one, and after I put the flywheel back on it wouldn't spin free when trying to kickstart, I'm not sure if it's binding inside against against that incorrect condenser cuz it sticks out too far plus the wiring attached is a mess but I'm already fearing that when we put the proper condenser in and go to put the flywheel back on to try to start it it will bind and not spin free again. Anything I should look out for and when I put it back on & do I find where the piston comes out at it's furthest and line back up with the TDC mark on flywheel/case before tightening it down? If after we put the proper condenser in and put flywheel back on IF the damn thing will spin free and we don't have spark I don't know what to do other than try to re-gap the points with cig cellophane and let the stator plate sit in place & go from there. He moves to MN on Saturday so I guess he goes with a non-running bike if we can't get it to fire.

Brycen Deines /

Put the new condenser in, flywheel spun fine, trying to put the wrong one in and retrofit just made it too cluttered between the stator plate and flywheel. After condenser change still no spark even after adjusting timing, points and all. Doesn't look to me like you can change the points, just the entire stator plate. In addition the stator plate doesn't move more than a few millimeters I'm guessing so timing just can't get off much. Talked to a motorcycle legend that I know and he said with all the troubleshooting we're down to getting a new stator plate.

Re:

Brycen Deines /

Put the new condenser in, flywheel spun fine, trying to put the wrong one in and retrofit just made it too cluttered between the stator plate and flywheel. After condenser change still no spark even after adjusting timing, points and all. Doesn't look to me like you can change the points, just the entire stator plate. In addition the stator plate doesn't move more than a few millimeters I'm guessing so timing just can't get off much. Talked to a motorcycle legend that I know and he said with all the troubleshooting we're down to getting a new stator plate.

Re: Re:

Brycen Deines /

A35 points have to be replaceable so we'll try that first then at worst new stator.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account