1994 Tomos Targa LX no spark

Brycen Deines /

Just helped my buddy buy his first moped. The right price meant it wasn't running but the guy said it was, then would only start with open throttle then wouldn't start at all. I have a 79' PA50ii that I love so I went through the basics thinking it was probably a clogged main jet but after pulling and cleaning the carb I realized our first and foremost issue is no spark. Have compression and fuel flow but after a new plug and the test of placing the plug to the head there's 0 spark. It is the kicker version so, points correct? Instant frustration for him so I'm trying to help. Where do I go from here? Ignition coil, clean the points? Any help appreciated!

Re: 1994 Tomos Targa LX no spark

No points,electronic ignition I think. Sounds like fuel starvation. Also,replace spark plug with a new one.(edited)

Brycen Deines /

so back to carb work? Why no spark at all when checking that?

I missed where you said fuel flow.....sorry. Don't remember if the blown taillight on that year would kill spark. Always replace spark plug though. Check taillight bulb.

Brycen Deines /

Ya I have fuel flow and a new plug, I've read about the tail light issue I pulled those and the filaments look good but I'll pull the bulbs off my Hobbit and try those cuz I know those work.

You'll get a lot of help later.I gotta hit the sack now.

Brycen Deines /

So I walked over to my shop and took the 2 bulbs from my Hobbit tail light and swapped them over to the Targa, I also tried grabbing the brake while kicking it. Also checked a couple of my connections on the pic below, I'm not sure the proper name for the box or the cylindrical 3 prong part but basically somewhere in the process all of my lights started coming on when I tried to kick it. This never happened before. The tail light has two bulbs, the top and bottom and the top one worked but the bottom didn't, I believe it also didn't work on my Hobbit but possibly just changing the top one allowed that tail light, headlight, speedo light and even horn to start working as I tried to kick it over, even with plug out. I tried the plug to case test and still no spark, went back to the original factory spark plug just in case the resistor type new plug threw it off and no spark there either. Something changed to make the lights glow but it still didn't start and I'm not getting spark at the plug. I've read that just cuz lights work doesn't mean ignition spark but honestly seeing those try to work was some sort of progress. Look forward to the replys. Thanks! Oh you'll see in the pic one wire unplugged, I did plug it in and noticed that one of those prongs was a bit rusty.

67830280_366960707545058_8146140504682135552_n.jpg

With a 1994 model you probably have points ignition so I'd look into that. The square box with the three terminals is the voltage regulator, the round can is the turn signal flasher. The light circuit is independent from the ignition circuit so the lights coming on when cranking don't really mean anything. Pull the flywheel cover and look through the windows in the flywheel. You should see the points opening and closing, the contact surface should be clean and flat.

Brycen Deines /

Thanks man I appreciate it I'll be checking that after work tonight! I'm also gonna get a new bulb for the 1 of 2 tail lights cuz I believe the one that's out is the brake light. It would make sense if that's a safety feature that I got no spark with a new plug and everything seemingly intact.

u have a flywheel puller?

Brycen Deines /

I don't.

You don't need a puller to clean and gap the points, but I imagine the flywheel would have to come off to replace the condenser.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

When you look at the Tomas tail light housing if you take the bulbs out you can get in underneath and there you'll find a ceramic resistor it can be cracked seeing that the one bulb never worked I think that's the case the ceramic resistor broke that's what gives you your running light

Brycen Deines /

I was gonna investige the tailight further because it's loose (the whole housing) indicating either or damage or someone fiddling with it so good advice. I'll take a look, this could cause no spark then cuz of the safety feature then or you think just fix the lighting issue? Either way cleaning the points and this are onot the list of next steps.

On the three wire stator the tail light is part of the igniton circuit, but on the two wire stator (Which I think is what your bike would have) it's not, and the lighting has no effect on the ignition side of the stator.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it has the gold IDM stator flywheel combo that has no points at is a CDI with two coils it was defective at the factory sometimes it will fire four times a revolution. If your tail light was all wonky you should investigate the ceramic resistor that's located under the bulbs the plate prize up and you'll get access to the compartment that has the resistor sometimes it will break and that's your running light and it will make the bike stall but like he said if it has a two-pole output instead of a three or four then it's a newer CDI but if it's an older one and a points model the resistor would matter if it is a CDI it could be that your ground for your Killswitch is making contact eliminate the kill switch for diagnosis also if it's multiwire take the blue black grounded to the frame do the same for the tail light ground grounded to the frame also run the signal wire out to the coil and run a ground strap from the regulator mount on the wiring harness to the frame

Brycen Deines /

You lost me at the killswitch part...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Just run the signal trigger wire straight from the Magneto do not let it Fork up to the bars where the switch is isolate the wire

Brycen Deines /

Maybe I'll be able to follow you when I'm looking at it. I have a hunch the resistor is cracked in the taillight housing. Do I have to take the assembly off? My buddy also said he had one that was fixed by messing with something in the throttle assembly (ground or killswitch). Sorry to be so dumb but I more than struggle with anything wiring.

Brycen Deines /

UPDATE: I think the problem is narrowed down to the killswitch. We got spark when I flicked the switch back and forth while kicking it over. We cut the black and brown wires within the killswitch assembly bit left the others that ran to the light switch but that didn't work. Where do I go from here? See pics...

20190731_234844.jpg
20190731_232955.jpg
20190731_234704.jpg

Have you looked at the points yet? When you pull the flywheel cover off, dont loose the little coupler for the oil pump which may fall out (Unless you're going to ditch the oil injection and premix). Otherwise inspect the coupler and replace if worn when you put the cover back on.

Brycen Deines /

I believe it's no points cdi I pulled the cover and I don't see points. I'm about ready to just trash this p.o.s.

20190731_234642.jpg

> Brycen Deines Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I believe it's no points cdi I pulled the cover and I don't see points.

> I'm about ready to just trash this p.o.s.

Gee , maybe you should pull the stator cover .

It's on the other side .

Brycen Deines /

I uploaded the wrong pic my bad.

Brycen Deines /

To run the black wire straight from motor to coil do I have to split it and ground to frame? Just leave the yellow unplugged?

> Brycen Deines Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> To run the black wire straight from motor to coil do I have to split it

> and ground to frame? Just leave the yellow unplugged?

No you don't. It's already grounded to the frame on the opposite end of the ignition coil. Yellow is lights so shouldn't have any bearing on whether you're getting spark.

If you split the black wire and ground one of the connections to the frame, you'll essentially create a short circuit and continue to have no spark.

Brycen Deines /

I took black from motor straight to coil and left the yellow unplugged. No spark so bad coil? The plug is new and the boot/wire isn't replaceable. We had random spark though when wiggling the killswitch left to right and since cut the killswitch wires to bypass that. ??

♣Slew Foot♣ /

to test coils all you do is Ron a charge through them if they magnetized they're good if they heat up their bad the high-tension coil that goes to the spark plug can be checked by putting your negative of a 9-volt battery to the frame of the bike and hitting the positive on the trigger circuit that's the terminal that goes into the box now which side up do you have do you have a two coil system without points or do you have a CDI which would be for coils?

Brycen Deines /

Here's a couple shitty pics, you can see black coming from motor straight to coil and the yellow taped, the coil just has the plug wire coming off it. Pulled the flywheel cover to check points, you can see its the Iskra and seemed to have only 1 point to clean. It opens and closes but barely, not sure how much they open and close but we cleaned it up and still no spark at all.

20190815_215948.jpg
20190815_213540.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account