Jawa Transistor with no power?

I recently ended up with a jawa transistor 40, I know everyone on here tends to give the Soviet bikes a bad rap but I thought I was up for a challenge. Anyway when I first got the bike pedalling would result in the lights flickering and the engine starting to turn over without sparking.

After researching online and doing some multimeter testing I decided that the big red "tranzimo" unit was toast. I picked up the newer Hungarian unit and matching stator ring off from treats and swapped them. Now when I either pedal or hook up the generator to a drill I get no lights and no power off the magneto.

Any Jawa experts have any ideas? I'm contemplating just making an e-bike out of it.

15639930479547417788876268245229.jpg

Re: Jawa Transistor with no power?

Thyristor ignitions on those Czech bikes are troublesome. You can swap out the black box for a generic Asian CDI and keep using the trigger from the stock ignition as well as the magneto.

theres a tutorial in the wiki to make our own transistor. I have done that with alotta success, it's pretty easy and very satisfying.

Double check wiring, maybe the coil is bad, those things need an odd voltage coil I think but usually the universal ones cover it.

theres a great printable writeup on jawa electrics here:

http://www.jawamoped.com/JawaMoped_Electrics_-_ignition.pdf

Found the picture for the Asian hack of the thyristor...

ThyristorHack.jpg

...unvalidated though so someone will have to gamble the 10$ for the pocket bike AC CDI box to find out...

The Hungarian unit probably wasn't grounded properly. Also change your spark plug cap. I want a transistor frame. My frame requires insurance in ny.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Would this work? Only $12 plus shipping.

https://www.jawashop.com/thyristor_z942/(edited)

These are the replacement parts that I ordered and installed

jawa-210-thyristor-version-1-2T.jpg
jawa-207-210-stator-plate-2T.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account