Puch e50, is it worth it?

Just picked up a '78 maxi, Engine was seized but I was able to free it up ( flywheel/crank move easily) . I believe it sat for some time. I removed the head/cylinder/piston (all decent shape, no scoring)

But I look inside to see this crank looking.. well not so good.

Is this a turning point of- should the whole thing be torn apart, replace/ clean things up?

looking for any input of which direction to continue, as this would be my first engine tear down for an e50 if that route is the way to go!

IMG_1397.JPG

Re: Puch e50, is it worth it?

Ha . As tasty as that looks , you have to ask ?

Of course a tear down is in order . Expect to replace all seals and bearings and maybe another crank .

That's the only way to be sure of any reliability .

True true. It'll make a good rainy day project for sure. I just wanted to get an opinion if it seems worth the effort to keep it alive. The body is decent, just needs common TLC.

A bit of fairly simple mechanics , some decent quality parts and some of that TLC you have to spare , that machine can be a joy for many years . ;)

Or just let gasoline sit in it for a day and run it.

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Or just let gasoline sit in it for a day and run it.

And , HOPE for the best . LOL

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dickie Thompson Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Or just let gasoline sit in it for a day and run it.

>

> And , HOPE for the best . LOL

If it spins free, with no rough or sticky spots, and you don't require reliability, run it. It may last a day or a decade, but it will literally cost you nothing to try. Worst case scenario is it seizes and you have to rebuild anyway.

Bad Cadillac™ /

I would clean it up and run it. There tougher then you think they are!

Overpriced Parts /

No I wouldn't run it even if you soak it, whatever because pieces of rust and filth will get in the cylinder, get into the rings, get into the bearings ,

Probably the crank ends areas where the 40 year old seals ride on are rusted,

Even engines that are mint inside have a good chance that the seals are going or getting hard to begin with from age or wear so you could leak air from the magneto side and suck transmission fluid from the transmission side seal

i dont know why puch engines seem to capture water and rust but they do. once u take it all apart, if u low on funds and the big and small end bearings r good, then wire brush/sand all rust off n run w new bearings n seals.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account