help with reinstalling brake pads...

I think this is a very simple job (And I've swapped pads before on motorcycles (infrequently; I'm definitely no expert), but this particular caliper is a little different form what I'm used to—mostly because of the spring clips.) I'm just really not sure of the best way to go about it.

Basically, it's an Onyx (has a hydraulic CB110-style moto brake, I believe), and I took the front wheel off to transport it. When I did that, the front brake pads closed, and when I moved them back apart to put the wheel on again, the clips were kind of loose and the pads came out. I just need some help guidance on putting them back in, how these spring clips work, etc.

If anyone has experience or can point me to a resource (ideally a video tutorial or written instructions), I'll be forever grateful. There are lots of videos, but the ones I've found are mostly like Brembos that have a cotter pin or a bolt that holds the pads in, so they're not helping me with understanding these retention clips on mine.

IMG_1758.JPG

Re: help with reinstalling brake pads...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Try an internet forum for shitty Chinese motor bikes.(edited)

Wow, thanks so much. Very kind.

Cleats Onionpockets /

They are the sort of brakes typically found on scooters, which are different enough from official mopeds that you're not likely to get any useful information here. I would suggest checking out the Modern Buddy Forum, as it'll be similar to what those folks are used to.

Long story short, people on this forum run old fashioned mopeds with drum brakes and pedals. They don't even understand hydraulic brakes for the most part (y'all snowflakes know I'm kidding).

Ah, got it! Thanks so much, Cleats. I (obviously) don’t know much about anything except motorcycles, so that’s very helpful info.

I’ll check out Modern Buddy. Thanks again.

> c p Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ah, got it! Thanks so much, Cleats. I (obviously) don’t know much about

> anything except motorcycles, so that’s very helpful info.

>

> I’ll check out Modern Buddy. Thanks again

Yea those motorcycle brakes are different.(edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> If you're gonna come on a moped website asking for help then at least

> mention that its a Chinese scooter you have. There is a difference and

> not knowing that here is considered disrespectful. Just saying.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Dude, chill out. It's mopeds here, and most states call those chinese scooters mopeds. Getting butthurt because someone didn't know that on their very first post is disrespectful on its own.

> Cleats Onionpockets Wrote:

> Dude, chill out. It's mopeds here, and most states call those chinese

> scooters mopeds. Getting butthurt because someone didn't know that on

> their very first post is disrespectful on its own.

Me explaining the reasons for the previous responses above does not mean I'm butt hurt.

What it does mean is that the MAJORITY of members here dont want to see them in these forums.

Create a separate forum for scooters.

The home page should have a graph or chart with explanations to direct scooters to a dedicated forum.

Simon, Why not?(edited)

great job with the anti-scooter vtriol... except y'all the idiots, not the OP, who don't know the difference between a moped and a scooter. the onyx is an electric moped. not a scooter.

they do have some dumb cheap generic Chinese scooter brake setups , but they work well and are real similar to ones folks adapt to their mopeds whenever using disc. In fact I think it's even the exact same one treats sells for the EBR's. https://www.treatland.tv/GOLD-disc-brake-caliper-p/gold-disc-brake-caliper.htm

Further, the reviews on that product mention THIS EXACT PROBLEM

sounds like it's just a chore, but doable. can't remember doing it myself but I've done similar ones, maybe that same one; you have to compress the piston all the way back and I think you have to pull the side to side play adjuster (slide pin that lets the caliper move outward from the mounts) all the way out, then you kinda put the pad in the spring and then wiggle the pads in while compressing the spring clips.

Side note: many people have found that the onyx mounting tab for the caliper puts it too far out on the rotor so it only clamps the outermost edge. you can maybe shave the mount or redrill it so the pads sit more squarely on the disc rotor.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account