1994 Tomos Sprint A35 - No Spark

I acquired a 1994 Sprint with no spark. It’s been sitting in a barn for a long time, so it’s no surprise that it doesn’t have spark. However, it only has 425 miles on it, so I’m certain that the lack of spark is not from old/worn out parts. I want to test the black wire coming out of the stator, which I believe is the ignition wire. How can I test it? Can I use a test light?

This is my first no spark project, so I’d like to fix it with all your help. Thank you!

Re: 1994 Tomos Sprint A35 - No Spark

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Clean the points and check point gap. Points can get very corroded/dirty sitting for a long period of time. Low miles means nothing when you’re talking about a 25 year old moped.

Drew Willis /

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Clean the points and check point gap. Points can get very corroded/dirty

> sitting for a long period of time. Low miles means nothing when you’re

> talking about a 25 year old moped.

Thank you. Can I service and clean the points without having to take the flywheel off?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Yes, read Fred’s guide in the wiki.

Drew Willis /

I followed Fred’s guide and got the points cleaned up and I feel a spark in the plug cap (shocked myself), but it still doesn’t seem to have enough to arc on the plug. Would this be a symptom of a bad condenser?

Depending on exactly where that shocking spark occurred , it may be a symptom of a bad plug cap .

Set the points at .014" and install new, correct spark plug.

Drew Willis /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Set the points at .014" and install new, correct spark plug.

I have a correct spark plug for it. May you outline the process of gapping the points? I can’t find any information on here or google of how to do so.

Download the manual . It has the info you want and a lot more . ;)

Tomos A35 workshop manual .

Drew Willis /

I went back and cleaned up the points some more, and we’ve got a nice spark. It does jump around quite a bit when I ground it to the cylinder. Is this normal?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account