My trusty 103SP blew it's bulbs. Digging in, it was easy to see that even at idle, the 13 volts that were going to the lights was waaay too much. Rev it up and it easily hits 20 volts. This is supposed to be a 6 volt system! The brake light is fine - just the headlight circuit is messed up.
What's weird, is that there is no transformer or anything on the moped that I can find that would drop or smooth out the voltage. It's a no-battery system. There's no transformer, no set of resistors, not even a rectifier to go from AC to DC. And the wiring on this moped looks pristine - the 5 coil stator is in gorgeous physical shape - I see nothing mechanically wrong.
I've read a few threads on this topic - but nothing helps. Any thoughts?