Ciao piaggio what is this ???

Andrea Westermann /

Hi all

I have a ciao piaggio was running good but now give me electric problem

If i turn the front light on loose power and stop running

I have good gas new coil new point new carburetor i think the problem is inside the front lights housing

Inside the housing i have a little box with wires and from there go to the switch (key) for lights on and off

And i think is smoked but I don’t know how you call that thing for buy i new one

Or maybe i can bypass all the wiring and eliminate that dam little box

Any one have a old ciao for give me any indication for the nane of the little box

E5364795-6BA1-4A25-89AF-20A98306296C.jpeg
85EF3D56-4861-474B-835E-8E19C0D1C8AC.jpeg
F7917E7B-CF70-4141-9807-78E9C4601B6B.jpeg

Re: Ciao piaggio what is this ???

Chris Carleton /

Thyristor?

Andrea Westermann /

Do you know where i can buy one ??

Or do you know if can be eliminated ?

What year is it?

Just when you thought Ohioans couldn't get worse

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's not a thyristor. If I am being honest, it looks like some kind of end-user hack. You should not need a step-down/up coil in the light housing.

Andrea Westermann /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's not a thyristor. If I am being honest, it looks like some kind of

> end-user hack. You should not need a step-down/up coil in the light

> housing.

My thoughts also

The square box thing with a coil of wire inside it is not a step up or down transformer (not enough wires) it's probably a wire wound resistor or perhaps a choke for smoothing/regulating the DC voltage that has been rectified by the diode on the brown insulating board behind it, the silver thing that looks like a bolt with a wire coming out of the top of it is definitely a diode (see pic). If any of it is shorted to the frame/headlight shell it will drain all your electricity and there will not be enough for your coil to fire the spark plug. Check all your electrics after the headlight switch for shorts.

IMG_20190709_200140.jpg

> David Coates Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If any of it is shorted to the

> frame/headlight shell it will drain all your electricity and there will

> not be enough for your coil to fire the spark plug. Check all your

> electrics after the headlight switch for shorts.

It doesn't look like it belongs in that steel bucket for sure. Especially just laying in there like that

Could be original equipment, I have seen some strange stuff on old bikes and Peds. It looks manufactured not cobbled together and it was bolted in, the op unbolted it for a better look/pic. It's difficult to know exactly what it does from a pic a drawing of where all the wires go to would help.

David,

After looking at your profile, you seem to be the person to ask a question in regards to another ped.

Not trying to hi Jack this thread so a simple link is all. Do chime in there please.

another electronics thread

This is a circuit diagram of a vespa (I think), you can see the diode (triangle with a line across the point) and the resistor (spiral line) next to it on the left of the headlight shell. I think that is exactly what the op has. Sorry it's upside down.

Screenshot_20190709-203917.png

So it's an antique regulator rectifier.

Andrea Westermann /

Hi all

I eliminate the ugly box and is the same problem as soon i put the front light on loose power and go off

I even try to take power from the engine bypassed all the wires in the housing light

And as soon put the ground wire shots off the engine

But with the lights off not a problem

At this point I don’t really care to have a switch on and off maybe i can rig some wire and having the lights on all the time

But where i can get power if i go from the engine to the light the engine won’t stay on

FYI. the battery is charging good

Isn’t one of those things to block UHF....idk what wave it really was.... waves that you find on lighting systems in Peugeots and a few others? That should not have anything to do with your electrical system. That bike might need a good tail light to be running. It might have a blown bulb. Some bikes require working tail lights to stay running, as a safety option. (edited)

Sounds like maybe a kill switch(purple wire) is grounding. It could be the tailight wires, but probably not the bulb because if it was you'd have no spark. Ground off the blue brake light wire

Andrea Westermann /

Thank you all

I swap with a newer engine and problem fix

The old motor i have 2 wire and 1 plug coming out from the case and the new one have only 1 wire and un plug

Swap the engine plug in the lights wire and all good

F5A76BA2-7B02-4444-8ABA-6447A4FB7365.jpeg
8560D8F6-42FE-474E-B0A5-EA7774D45ACE.jpeg

Good deal.

And good job.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account