Rolling turd won’t start

I just bought this 1982 Suzuki fa50 today and it doesn’t have a exhaust (the one in the picture won’t work for it). The first thing I did was check spark and it had it then put some starting fluid down the air filter, it took a couple of kicks but it started, who ever had it before made it so the reserve didn’t work and had the oil line and fuel line on the petcock. So I tried to mess with it and put the line where I think they go and now it won’t start with fluid. Also the regular fuel won’t work and only the reserve works and when you turn it on the gas comes out where the air goes in. And there is no airfilter assembly on it.

Re: Rolling turd won’t start

You need an exhaust with gasket, float needle, fuel petcock, air filter with neccesary covers and housings, and couple of correct spark plugs.

.....and the service manual.

Then you might have something. (edited)

Does any one have an exhaust and air filter they want to sell?

I have never seen a color combination like this

46E577F2-FC67-445F-97F7-5F2D9DA4AA47.png

Thats because the red seat came from a black one at some point and time.

Look in buy sell forum.

Air box parts are hard to come by.

Did see something for fa 50 a few days ago.

I put some starting fluid in it and it started and it runs and idles and I also put that crappy exhaust on it (has exhaust leak) but I’m not sure if the oil injector is working and not sure if I have the lines hooked up properly.

25D4F850-2F34-43BC-B50C-9C7A809EFA35.jpeg

Google FA50 repair manual and download it. Read it. It will answer most of your questions.

Looking at your pic the back tire can spew all kinds of garbage into carb and motor while riding.

Download and get to know both the service and owners manuals :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1raDJJQ2M_A8v9lFIxSyYpzRKIRMQ4a1f

Also,

That is a vacuum operated petcock (fuel valve). That means no gas will flow to carb unless motor is cranking or running. Its a safety feature to prevent loosing an entire tank of gas from a leaking float in carb or from a bike wreak.

With that said you will not get that fuel valve to work until its hooked up to its correct vacuum source on carb or intake.

I see one hose from it not hooked to anything.

The manual will tell all. (edited)

The hose not hooked to anything needs to be hooked to a vacuum source. If the diaphragm inside the fuel valve is torn or rotten it will not work either.

You can check it by hooking up a mighty-vac vacuum pump to it and pull some vacuum to see if it holds vacuum or leaks.

For some reason every time I start it gas shoots out the spot I have circled and oil is leaking all over for some reason

8B02EA71-1582-420C-9BEB-245FABF77A6A.jpeg

Because that is the float chamber vent.

Your float valve in carb is not shutting off fuel flow or regulating it. The float chamber is flooding and spewing gas out the vent. I already mentioned you need a float needle above^^^^.

The float needle seat will need to be cleaned too.

That nipple should have a 4 or 5 inch drain hose routed to bottom of motor.

You're not gonna get that thing repaired without reading, researching and ordering new parts.

Look for original o.e.m. parts and bypass the Chinese knock offs.

On a positive note the fuel shut off valve must be working if it only spews gas when running.

Since the carb has been flooded so many times you will need a new spark plug when everything on carb is corrected. Get two or three. (edited)

It has a metal float needle

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It has a metal float needle

Clean it and try again.

Clean the seat too.

Qtip in a drill works

Why do you think oil is leaking all over

Depends on where it leaking.

I found out where the oil is coming out of, it is where the oil level shows on the side, if keeps coming lose and can pop off so I hot glued and I think it still leaks

Dirty30 Dillon /

This sounds like you could read the manual and gain all of this information.

It won’t even run now and doesn’t seem like it’s getting gas. I just cleaned the carburetor

Change the spark plug. I'm sure its fuel fouled by now since thw thing hasn't run right from day one.

I am getting a new spark plug today and two bolts for the exhaust because it might work. I also forgot to mention that whenever I put starting fluid in the carb it takes like 10-20 kicks for it to start

The machine was never designed to run on starting fluid. It ran correctly when new and it will again when all issues are solved. Focus!

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> The machine was never designed to run on starting fluid. It ran

> correctly when new and it will again when all issues are solved. Focus!

And , RTFM .

I got the crappy exhaust on it and the new spark plug in it. I tried to start it but it didn’t fire until I put starting fluid in it. It doesn’t seem like it’s getting gas. I did put some fuel filters on it so could that be causing the problem.

I forgot to post the pictures

58A4188E-96E2-4518-A257-47C7DEE5DDC7.jpeg
C58CE775-5812-450B-8F44-6605AE83DC8F.jpeg

In all my years of working on jap bikes I've noticed that there's always a drain screw on the float bowl of every carb. Now sometimes they can leak or be a pita to loosen but all you need to do is open that drain screw to see if the float bowl has plenty of fuel in it. Let it run for a minute or two to clear out sediment and to observe fuel flow to carb.

It will only run on starting fluid

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> It will only run on starting fluid

You said that already. That happens when you are not getting fuel to the combustion chamber.

Try spraying some pre-mix in there, starting fluid bad....no I oil. :/ pull fuel line, turn on petcock, do you get flow?

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Owen Sims Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It will only run on starting fluid

>

> You said that already. That happens when you are not getting fuel to the

> combustion chamber.

My last statement was not complete.

Starting fluid could also make up for low compression and or a vacuum leak like bad crank seals.

The point is start with the easiest, simplest things first and progress from there.

Kudos to you for hanging in there and not walking away mad dude.

You have to have the mentality of a detective and question everything. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account