1981 Honda Express II - shuts off while driving?

Hey there! I have gone through the repair forum and read through the Honda Express Repair sheet and haven't found an answer. I am a first time moped owner, I just bought it last Saturday. I checked all the things I knew (made sure gas tank had no rust, checked tread, oil and gas lines were clear, etc). It started up on the first kick. This morning I rode it to work which is about 3.4 miles and it was great! On the way home the same distance however, it started sounding strained and then shut off around 2 miles. It wouldn't start back up immediately, but I let it sit for a few minutes and sure enough it started up again. Unfortunately for the last 1.4 miles home it was stop and go. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe it is overheating? Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it?

Re: 1981 Honda Express II - shuts off while driving?

Jack Rutherford /

I doubt a stock Express would overheat. Maybe you have a fuel delivery issue which could be anywhere in the chain of gas cap - gas tank - petcock - fuel line - fuel filter - carburetor.

Thank you! Do you have a recommendation of which of those placesto begin?

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I doubt a stock Express would overheat. Maybe you have a fuel delivery

> issue which could be anywhere in the chain of gas cap - gas tank -

> petcock - fuel line - fuel filter - carburetor.

Agreed.

Shut off fuel cock.

Disconnect hose from carb and route to a large catch can/cup or gas can.

Turn on fuel cock and observe fuel flow for a couple of minutes.

Should flow in solid stream like taking a piss.

If it does not flow correctly then its up stream. Meaning fuel cock and or screen is plugged or gas cap is not venting. By the way some earlier models had an on/off valve on top of gas cap for venting.

If gas flow is good then problem is downstream in carb. Like float or float valve.

Quote Live: ` By the way some earlier models had an on/off valve on top of gas cap for venting.'

I was working on one of those and when you turned the lever completely to Vent, it stopped venting. You had to barely back it off Vent to resume flow.

<b>Update: </b>

I'm just stupid and can't see the blatant issue. I have an oil leak from the inlet line. I'm having a hard time finding resources on how to repair this, maybe from my lack of terminology; does anyone know how to fix this?

Apologies if this is an over-asked question, I'm really learning from scratch.

Video is so bad I literally can barely tell which line is even the oil line much less what it's doing.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Video is so bad I literally can barely tell which line is even the oil

> line much less what it's doing.

Um, ya, a typed description would of been better.

Sorry folks, I am clearly not doing well here with my first forum post asking for help. I hope this video is better, but here's a description too:

The manual calls this the oil inlet line, it runs straight from the oil tank and to the oil pump. Where it attaches to the oil pump it's a pretty steady drip of oil. It's like bubbling out around the opening, so I'm assuming maybe it's just attached incorrectly?

I'm just having a hell of a time finding resources on addressing this - I've looked up Honda Express Oil leak in various ways but the only hits I'm getting are for changing the transmission oil. The manual is not much help.

You want this style or a T bolt hose clamp :

Regular screw clamps leave gaps for seepage .

Thank you so much!

My Express II would shut off while riding, just like yours. I discovered quickly that I wasn't turning my gas cap vent open. If you don't open the vent, or it's plugged, you won't get fuel flow.

I checked all of this, it ended up being oil seeping from the inlet line because of what I can only assume was incorrect attachment by the previous owner (it looks crooked, and someone else pointed out the clamp he used is not great to prevent seepage). I'm going to drain/reattach with a good clamp and try again. Thank you for your comment though!

If there is any spare hose, cut it back a half inch before you reinstall the line so you get some fresh(er) rubber on the nipple.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> If there is any spare hose, cut it back a half inch before you reinstall

> the line so you get some fresh(er) rubber on the nipple.

Great, thank you! I wouldn't have known to do that.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account