Re: 1980 Honda Express NC50 no spark issue

I disconnected the black & white wire from the points, put one probe there. And I touched the other probe to the stator mounting plate. The needle went way over to the right to the number 1.

On analog meters there should be a "Cont" setting = continuity

Guage needle should swing left to the infinitely symbol = an 8 on its side, if there is continuity.

> Doug Kuhn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I disconnected the black & white wire from the points, put one probe

> there. And I touched the other probe to the stator mounting plate. The

> needle went way over to the right to the number 1.

And what setting was gauge on?

And was points open? (edited)

I disconnected the black & white wire to the points and put one probe there. The other probe I touched to the stator mounting plate. The needle went way over to the right to the number 1.

Does the meter have a "cont." setting?

Can you post a pic of meter and its settings?

Picture of the meter I'm using not connected to anything.

PTDC0010.JPG

Ok that helps.

Set meter to the "ohm 1k" setting in green digits. Touch both meter probes together. Should swing right to zero. If it does not zero out then twist small knob below guage to zero out guage while holding both probes of meter together.

Now go test. If guage swings to left and zeros out like it did during set up above then you have continuity and a complete circuit.

Keep in mind that the guage does not have to zero out perfectly to work.

When testing you should get the same reading you got when touching both meter probes together before testing a circuit or component. Other wise there is on open or there is resistance in what you are testing. (edited)

Turned the meter to OHMS, touched probes together, meter went to the right to 1, I adjusted it until it went farther to the right to 0. I touched one probe to the black & white wire that connects to the points (I disconnected the wire from the points first) and touched the other probe to the stator mounting plate, the meter didn't move, it stayed on the 0 on the LEFT side of the meter.

You have an open or burned out coil.

To be sure show me a picture of where you are probing on the bike.

Thanks again. I really appreciate this.

PTDC0004.JPG
PTDC0001.JPG

As long as the unhooked black wire you are probing goes to the coil, then the coil is toast.

.......black wire and ground on base plate as shown in last pic.

Your first pic is wrong

The first pic was just to show you there is continuity in the black & white wire. So if the stator WERE good where should the needle be in the second pic? Thanks

Now dig out the original coil and test it like you did this one in the last picture you posted.

Used to be, you could buy armature wire to rewind coils with. If you could find some you could rewind either coil and be in business. One has to count how many turns or loops while unwinding the old wire and apply the same to the new wire.

> Doug Kuhn Wrote:

> The first pic was just to show you there is continuity in the black &

> white wire. So if the stator WERE good where should the needle be in the

> second pic? Thanks

It should read like first pic making the connections shown in second pic.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

It wouldnt hurt to look for broken wire coming out of coil going to ground or base plate side. (Not the black wire with "u" terminal).

No problemo.

Get your hands on a good coil.

Test it before installing it though.

Keep in mind a good coil will show some resistance so it may not swing all the way to the right but it will move at least half way to the right instead of just setting still on the left. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> It wouldnt hurt to look for broken wire coming out of coil going to

> ground or base plate side. (Not the black wire with "u" terminal).

Will do. Thanks again

Sure thing man.

Go get the original coil that was in there and test it too.

I never heard back from you about where that black wire goes that you are probing in last pic. Thats not the wire to the condensor is it? (edited)

The wire that you are calling black is BLACK & WHITE. It's the wire that goes to the points. Sooooooo, what I ended up doing was check the wires on my good bike to see if they matched the readings on the one I'm working on, Guess what.............they didn't. When I checked the wires on the good bike with one probe on the black & white wire (disconnected from points) and the other probe touching the stator mounting bracket the needle went clear over to the right. As you may or may not know there are two different stators for these bikes Denso & Mitsuba. I have one of each. The one I'm working on (Mitsuba) has only one wire connecting to the points. But my good bike has a Denso stator and it has two wires connecting to the points. One black & white and one solid black. Maybe that's the black wire that you are thinking of? Looks like you were right. Thanks again for walking me through this, I do appreciate it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account