How do I fix this? The pick-up bolt hole broke. How can I keep it in place?

Todd Rouleau /

The chain broke on a ride and messed up my A55 crankcase. The hole to screw the pick-up in place got broken. I only have the bottom one. Will only one hold it in place if it’s cranked down. I didn’t realize how much damage a broken chain can cause. Pictures attached. What do ya got MacGyver?

A947D033-EDDB-4A81-960A-B10B1A0F62BC.jpeg
B9D8F8A1-3816-400E-A006-934EA9240CD8.jpeg
5BD8D926-3248-422B-97ED-51AD28AE62DD.jpeg

Re: How do I fix this? The pick-up bolt hole broke. How can I keep it in place?

I've halfassed these a few ways.

1) easiest: JB weld. it's only gotta hold it in place and with the top OK it's got very little load.

2) new mount. you can mount it anywhere, drill tap whatever, then re-time it withut the woodruff. this is a last ditch attempt but will save you if there's nothing else works

3) I've done dumb shit, but one time I mounted the pickup coil into the flywheel cover, so when the cover is bolted on it holds the pickup in the right place. I just used triple expanding foam to hold it in place. that's really really halfassed but holy shit, it's held up for over 5 years with no trouble.

Also, you will want to fix that stripped wire that was rubbing the flywheel, it'll short and you'll have no spark. wrap it in electrical tape and tie it out of the way of the flywheel.

Todd Rouleau /

Thanks for the help. I like the JB Weld idea. I saw the wire too, and I’ll tape that up.

Dont just tape it up, figure out why its rubbing and correct it.

Todd Rouleau /

Yeah, of course. I’m not going to let a known problem get worse

When it breaks again which I assume it will consider a cdi without a external hall. Something like an hpi etc...unfortunately requiring a variety of rewire. Can a decent bracket be fabbed? This is one mess I've been spared.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account