Square bing float needle?

Pulled an old 85/12/101 square bing carb off my Columbia Commuter today to clean it up and hopefully get it running again after sitting in the back of a garage for some time.

Have a new float needle I was about to put in but then realized there's no needle clip attachment holder spot! Do these just sit under the float stem connector piece? If so, can I fashion one that will fit out of a float needle that does have the clippy attachment head? It was without a float needle altogether when opened..

Thanks

6524CE14-EF2D-4C8E-BD6C-5000FB1514EF.jpeg
49F4D4DA-86EE-4696-A28D-C19F060A8C06.jpeg
2AF6F4E0-1041-40D1-B9F2-25C1CF5ADF85.jpeg

Re: Square bing float needle?

clean it again, looks like it just floats in there.

You mean the needle valve floats under the stem connector piece or no needle valve at all?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

There should be a metal float pin obviously it went missing I have one of those floats just like that you just get one with the clip and the PIN if you can't find one PM me and I can look around

it doesn't have a clip, just slides in there.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah well that's what I meant it has a a slot but the one who shows is the old style that used to have the metal pin that and the float with no slit the one with no slit I thought was the one that had the metal tip float needle

So if there's no clip, then most the float needles I'm most associated with (similar to the pic below) will definitely need modification. Can I simply chop the clip attachment part off the top of one of these?

bing-float-needle-2.jpg

Anyone know what a "stock" one looks like for my type of carb/float? Do they exist to purchase anywhere?

They got too expensive

Myrons Mopeds prices

. B I N G S A C H S C A R B S

10 or 12mm clamp size 20mm

# Sachs part # price description

22 0000.111.000 $39.0 float needle metal for no-slot float

22a2661.027.000 $15.0 float needle rubber for slotted float

23 0000.111.000 $30.0 float only, no slot for metal tip needle

23 0281.125.000 $60.0 22 + 23 + 24 no-slot float+needle

23a 000.111.000 $45.0 float only, slotted for rubber tip needle

23a0281.125.001 $65.0 22a + 23a + 24 slotted float+needle

1561666104479-1911552050.jpg

looks like i got a couple floats w slots, badd ass filter dodad. 25 shipped for the pair

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Holy crap I've been hoarding the wrong parts

huh, yeah those patsplat ones have the clip. I never really thought about it. but it'd work either way - just goes in the hole and rests on the metal plate attached to the float. when the float floats it pushes it up to (ideally) stop flow - though it is a bing...

Maybe you'd need to chop it to set the float shutoff height at the right place, try it and see! or replace with the whole float with the clip style from pat's stash. I think treats sells a whole kit with the float and needle

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Slap one of them Tilson clones on there and have it done with it

Treats

sachs 12mm bing CLONE carburetor

$54.99

omg the needle is in the top of the carb.

If you don't have a circlip your gonna need one. pretty sure there's a circlip and retainer ring.

happy fixing....

^ me thinks he thinks of the wrong needle.

even more fun, the sachs D square bings had no needle. wow. (edited)

Chöschi21 C.K. /

put in a Different Float and the Needle, just so you know, that's what the "A" at the end means, if there is no "A" the carb came without that needle that clips in the Float.

For instance:

1/10/101 had that old style you have, 1/10/101 had the new style. the Float likes to get stuck on the old style, so just swap both.

^good info!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account