Minarelli v1 dies when idling

derek cuellar /

Quick question. My Minarelli v1 General is now taking me about a 15 meter push to start it and it used to only take me about 3m. After I get it to start it will throttle and go but once i come to a stop and idle the engine cuts out.

Is this a Carb problem and/ or a clutch problem?

Re: Minarelli v1 dies when idling

derek cuellar /

Disregard. I solved the problem by adjusting the idle screw. Feeling like a noooooob.

Good you got it sussed . :)

derek cuellar /

The ped is idling correctly now but I'm still having trouble with starting. It still takes a good 15m to get the thing to start. Is this because my clutch shoes are worn or maybe the springs?

Cleats Onionpockets /

Is it slipping when you try to pedal start? Or is it actually turning over, but won't fire? I had a Batavus VA back in the day that you had to crank over for a solid ten minutes to get it to catch. But once it was up, it was good for the day and would just freight train up hills.

derek cuellar /

Turning over but won't fire. Once I get it running, it's great.

Cleats Onionpockets /

If it's turning over, then it's not clutch/spring related. You might have something up with the fuel/air mixture, especially since you said you needed to adjust the idle speed. You could also have lost some compression without realizing it, as that would definitely affect idle.

Low compression will have a definite effect on stating . Meaning , it'll take a lot more revolutions to get the motor running .

With low compression the intake vacuum is also lower . The rings allow passage in both directions .

derek cuellar /

So how do I fix the compression?

I'd find out what the compression reading is , first .

Then , if needed , have a look at the piston and cylinder and determine what the best route will be .

derek cuellar /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'd find out what the compression reading is , first .

>

> Then , if needed , have a look at the piston and cylinder and determine

> what the best route will be .

I also just put a new pipe on. Could this also be because theres an air leak from a bad installation?

> derek cuellar Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I also just put a new pipe on. Could this also be because theres an air

> leak from a bad installation?

The motor should start easily . An air leak of most any size at the exhaust should not change that .

The leak would likely be audible and if ran too long might cause problems like a burnt piston .

derek cuellar /

Any one in NYC have a compression gauge I can borrow?

A lot of auto parts stores have a 'loan-a-tool' program .

derek cuellar /

Good to know. Thank you!

Back to basics, did you check your plug? Make sure it's clean and gapped properly before tearing everything apart. My V1 doesn't like dirty plugs.

derek cuellar /

Okay here's what I did,

Installed the pipe correctly with hanger (that problem is fixed). I took the cylinder off and the piston did look some what burnt as well as the head (I cleaned these with my finger).

IMG_20190724_160324.jpg
IMG_20190724_160324.jpg

The rings looked like they had a big gap ,so I took the rings off to try and squeeze them back together and broke one (Go meeee!!!). I only have one ring now (which I know causes lower compression). I also took off the fly wheel to fix the wiring issue i also have and I think i broke a piece of the crank off (please check pictures) When i put everything back together I got it to turn over once but it would not idle. The fly wheel was also rubbing on the stator plate in the bottom left corner after reinstallation.

IMG_20190724_194250.jpg
IMG_20190724_160339.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account