Puch E50 starter clutch will not engage.

Hello, I'm trying to figure out why my Maxi's starter clutch will not engage. I was riding it a couple of days ago when it suddenly wouldn't accelerate. The engine was revving really high and didn't turn off, but the bike didn't move. I turned it off and tried turning it on again but the clutch wouldn't engage, even with the cable tightened all the way or by manually pushing the lever as far as it would go. I am not getting any resistance when pulling the clutch and pedaling or moving the back wheel.

I took off the clutch cover, and everything at least looks normal. Clutch is not moving freely on the crank. Clutch and springs, bell, starter clutch all look ok. The bell's gear is aligned with the main gear, and spins when moving the pedals. Got any ideas?

Some pics attached. Thanks!

IMG_20190625_193132_793.jpg
IMG_20190625_193130_664.jpg
IMG_20190625_193150_118.jpg

Re: Puch E50 starter clutch will not engage.

Was there a nut holding it to the crank.

Yes. Also clutch bell circlip is on as well. Was running good for the last month or so...

did u have to use a puller on your clutch or dis it just fall out? it has a taper and should be stuck onto your crank taper good, no wiggle, did u have a wooruff key? or find bits of weird metal?

Yeah I used a puller, it was on there good. Woodruff key was also in there, didn't look bad. No bits of metal either.

Some more pics

IMG_20190625_205025_411.jpg
IMG_20190625_205019_179.jpg

First thing if you look at the top of the inside of the clutch plate you will notice a mark from the clutch bell hitting the plate.

Anyways this is weird because this sounds like two different issues.

Your clutch pedal engagement stater system is what I would look at first.

They both could be effected by the same issue? ( only thing I can think of is your clutch is spinning on the crank but you said it was on the taper)

You could take the clutch bell off & see if you can at-least start the bike.

Is the spines stripped in the sprocket on the engine? If everything in the clutch is good like you said and it looks like it either

1) your sprocket is stripped

2) your main shaft has broken in some type of way.

Did you make adjustment to the cable to make sure you were getting a full pull with the clutch engagement lever?

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 1) your sprocket is stripped

When reading his story i thought "that sounds familiar to something i had happen lots of years ago"

Now i remember the inside of my front sprocket was completely gone. I'd check that out before looking at the clutch.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

turns out my clutch bell was broke. the gear became separated from the bell, so it was barely moving when actually trying to get it going, which is why it wouldn't accelerate or turn on. cool stuff.

great u posted yr findings, helpful for later peoples

Your clutch bell separated from the gear on it? I'd like a picture!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account