Backfire on deceleration chinese moped?

Hello so I have a taotao 150 powermax. It ran great tell my exhaust broke off. I drove it maybe less than 25 miles without my exhaust trying to get it home and than like two other times due to emergency situations. Than i parked it since winter came for like 8 months. So now i bought a new exhaust and got it running and replaced my spark plug, oils, and fuel filter. But now it backfires when i slow down unless i feather the gas. Ive tried adjusting valves. I was told its running lean well i pulled my plug that is new and its black so that means it's running rich right? I did a valve adjustment and that helped alot but still backfires. I have a feeling ive burnt my exhuast valve out but what is your guys opinion and what should I start with?

Also im running a "performace" CDI and coil. I was also told that it could be that too.

Re: Backfire on deceleration chinese moped?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yup, sounds like burnt valves from running no exhaust

Cory Willis /

Okay thanks. I had a gut feeling it was the vavles. I can just replace the valves right? Will my head still be okay or should i just replace all of it.

I'd do a compression test first . If you have a burnt valve , it's very likely it wouldn't run very well , if at all .

It only backfires on deceleration , which indicates an air leak in the intake .

The stock carb for that scooter looks like it may have an air cut valve . If so and that valve diaphragm is defective , it would allow decell backfires .

As a test , try turning the pilot screw out a few turns , if it has such .

Cory Willis /

It runs great. I have no issues on the performance. Its a stock carb so unfortunately everything is sealed including my air fuel mixture screw. The valve diaphragm thats the black rubber thingy that holds my carb needle?

Cory Willis /

Oops nvm i did a google search and found out what you meant.

1-Is there a gasket between the head and the header pipe? If there is, make sure it's installed properly.

2-Re-torque the nuts/bolts securing the pipe to the head. Slightly loose connection can cause your symptoms on some 4-strokes.

Anytime you have an airleak in the exhaust at the cylinder head the leak causes the popping/ backfiring....NEW exhaust gasket or donut...or...pin hole in pipe is the cause...

Cory Willis /

I replaced the gasket with just the basic circular one. I have a premium gasket just need to find longer studs to make it fit. And when i did replace the gasket it stopped back firing nearly as bad. Ill double check everything again tonight but im like 99% certain there isnt an air leak from where my exhaust bolts into the head. And if there was a pin hole leak in my exhaust would it still shoot flames out the end of my exhaust?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account