Batvus VA points and timing

So I put in a new set of points and want to set the timing. I have a homemade timing light made from an old flashlight. No matter where I connect the 2 leads from my timing light, opening the points does not break the circuit / turn the light off. I followed the manual instructions to no avail. I removed the flywheel and touched the leads to each side of the points (fixed and moveable) opened them and still the light stays on. I thought it was supposed to go off when they open and break the circuit. I unattached the points from the engine and when I open them when the points are not touching the engine, the light goes off. When I insert the points peg back into its little hole re-establishing contact with the engine, the light goes on. Its like both sides of the points are grounded. HELP. What am I missing?

Re: Batvus VA points and timing

read the wiki on points timing might help.

Light comes on when points break if induction type light.

Carter Kegel /

Thanks. I read it but it doesn't really address what I am dealing with (I think!)

Carter Kegel /

Thanks. The light stays on regardless of whether the points are open or closed. By induction light I assume you mean a regular flashlight bulb i.e. not LED.

No...……...get a plain old induction timing light that has a clamp that holds it on the spark plug, and has connection clamps for positive and negative on a battery(12V) that does not need to be the moped's battery or even hooked to it.

That tells the story of exactly when the spark occurs.

Carter Kegel /

Thanks. But I think that type of timing light only works if the engine is running and mine is not running. It also would need a spark to the plug which I'm not sure I am getting because the points don't seem to be working right (the problem in the first place). Reluctant to buy one given that. But would an induction timing light work if you just handcranck the flywheel?

Just attach a drill(not an IMPACT!) to the magneto and yes,it will show you the timing. Make sure you're turning the engine in the correct direction though.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Mechanically set it by using a probe and a pencil you can actually measure it from Top Dead Center you wanted to fire roughly 2mm -1.8mm before. Set it by using pencil as a depth probe Mark Tdc then measure the 2mm before. Your points should open then.

Just use a continuity meter with audio. It will waiver at point break.

Carter Kegel /

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. However has anyone experienced or have an answer to what I asked in my first post? Which is that my homemade timing light does not go out when I attach it it either side of the points and manually open the points? Shouldn't this break the circuit and cause the light to go off? (See my first post). Also I located the black wire leading from the kill switch to the terminal box and when I attach my light to that wire and then ground it to the cylinder head, the light is on when the kill switch is in the off position and the light is off when the kill switch is on. Weird I think, but if someone can explain it that would be appreciated.

Without being there it would be hard to understand how you rigged it. 20 degrees BTDC should be close.

Just telling you the absolute best way is with an induction type timing light. It will not make a mistake. You put the chalk mark at the proper point on the magneto.

It's really easy to check timing this way.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

1 lead goes to the trigger wire out of the Magneto and the other goes to the negative ground

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the va's electrical system runs so that the main power goes to the horn then the brakes then the headlight and make sure your kill switch works the running light has its own coil I believe if it doesn't it has a resistor in the wiring block that downgrades the brake voltage so you have a running light gray is usually the running late green is usually the break yellow is usually the old Power

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account