Tomos A55 clutch

Hey

After some advise/your experience.

I have a 08 Tomos Sprint with the A55, I got it in a poor state and have got it back to a stage where it runs, stops, and is rideable.

It seems to rev high in first then has a while till it shifts to second. I presume this means second year clutch needs some work? I did change out the fluids already hoping it would help.

Any advise on options? Refinish it with cork from Napa, buy a whole second gear clutch assembly from treats for $70, or buy three segments for $45?

Pros and cons etc.

Thanks

Re: Tomos A55 clutch

napa cork, gorilla glue n two o ring clamps will set u back $25. bonus is u can do your first gear too and not have to wait, i hate waiting.

Fluid may be too thick or bad to shift correctly(fill it to the check-level screw with ATF). If the moped was in poor shape,the tranny might have been neglected too. Take side cover off and inspect the clutches and conditions of the trans.

Staggered Diamonds /

Thanks for the replies!

Off to Napa after work for supplies because I may as well resurface them as I guess the never have been done....

I'd just buy new if affordable.

Staggered Diamonds /

Good point Don.

The first and second clutches from treats total $140 vs the Napa route for $25....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If the pad still have meat on them you can mix up 4 parts to 1 Marvel Mystery Oil and Castrol synthetic ATF fat is the formula for Blaster oil if you have a slight seal leak it will swell the seals and if your pads are glazed they will unglazed them and it will swell the cork or rubber and buy you a little ride time so you can get replacement parts when you re shoe it pay attention to which way the clutch will rotate you want to move the pins to the other side of the shoe and it will engage way quicker and it will outperform the factory set up after I finally bought the Tomos tool that resets the clutch I seen it only will work that way.

I always wondered when I pulled apart Tomas clutches why some open towards rotation and others open away it turns out that Tomas factory setting for the clutch was purposely put backwards at the factory so that when you needed your clutch redone if you did it yourself you did it just like it came from the factory and it would give you some more performance to a factory setup but if you brought it to an authorized Tomos dealer they would use this tool and it would reset the clutch with the pins reversed and it would outperform the factory set up

How are the pins placed stock vs modified?. Thanks

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If the pad still have meat on them you can mix up 4 parts to 1 Marvel

> Mystery Oil and Castrol synthetic ATF fat is the formula for Blaster oil

> if you have a slight seal leak it will swell the seals and if your pads

> are glazed they will unglazed them and it will swell the cork or rubber

> and buy you a little ride time so you can get replacement parts when you

> re shoe it pay attention to which way the clutch will rotate you want to

> move the pins to the other side of the shoe and it will engage way

> quicker and it will outperform the factory set up after I finally bought

> the Tomos tool that resets the clutch I seen it only will work that way.

>

> I always wondered when I pulled apart Tomas clutches why some open

> n towards rotation and others open away it turns out that Tomas factory

> setting for the clutch was purposely put backwards at the factory so

> that when you needed your clutch redone if you did it yourself you did

> it just like it came from the factory and it would give you some more

> performance to a factory setup but if you brought it to an authorized

> Tomos dealer they would use this tool and it would reset the clutch with

> the pins reversed and it would outperform the factory set up

How are the pins placed stock vs modified?. Thanks

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Well the stator runs counter-clockwise the clutch moves clockwise so you have it so that the pins are in the rear and the shoe opens toward rotation instead of away sort of like Pac-Man facing the way he's spinning and is open mouth is grabbing the wheel instead of it hitting them in the top of the head

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Rica Rivera Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If the pad still have meat on them you can mix up 4 parts to 1 Marvel

>

> > Mystery Oil and Castrol synthetic ATF fat is the formula for Blaster

> oil

>

> > if you have a slight seal leak it will swell the seals and if your

> pads

>

> > are glazed they will unglazed them and it will swell the cork or

> rubber

>

> > and buy you a little ride time so you can get replacement parts when

> you

>

> > re shoe it pay attention to which way the clutch will rotate you want

> to

>

> > move the pins to the other side of the shoe and it will engage way

>

> > quicker and it will outperform the factory set up after I finally

> bought

>

> > the Tomos tool that resets the clutch I seen it only will work that

> way.

>

> >

>

> > I always wondered when I pulled apart Tomas clutches why some open

>

> > n towards rotation and others open away it turns out that Tomas

> factory

>

> > setting for the clutch was purposely put backwards at the factory so

>

> > that when you needed your clutch redone if you did it yourself you did

>

> > it just like it came from the factory and it would give you some more

>

> > performance to a factory setup but if you brought it to an authorized

>

> > Tomos dealer they would use this tool and it would reset the clutch

> with

>

> > the pins reversed and it would outperform the factory set up

>

> How are the pins placed stock vs modified?. Thanks

Don't bother flipping around any pins or disassembling the clutch, just re-line them for now. If it doesnt perform to your liking then maybe try some stiffer springs/etc.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

No you don't understand I bought the Tomas Factory tool to reach you the clutches and the only way it works is if you flip the rotation of the shoe so if you do it yourself you leave it just like the factory wood out of the factory but if you had bought a Tomas and then when it needed a clutch and you took it to an authorized tomasz dealer and they use this tool they would flip your pins from the front to the back and it will make the clutch perform 200% better without changing anything so that if you took your Tomas to an authorized dealer all the time it would work two hundred times better than if you did it yourself without that knowledge about flipping the clutch I always wondered why some of them were set so they open toward rotation and somewhere set so they opened away from rotation I found out the answer

Advice from fellow Tomos owner - you might not have a clutch problem at all !

My Tomos had exactly the same problem (several times). The reason turned out to be - worn engine (piston+cylinder). Your moped will have a hard time shifting to 2nd gear if the cylinder is too worn and fuel compression low. It revs too high, makes excessive noise and takes too long to shift, because it can not reach adequate riding speed to engage 2nd shift - the reason behind this is low torque/power output. You might need to rebuild an engine, or bore the cylinder to new dimension - I advise you to check the state of those parts of your moped.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

By the way that is the exact same symptom for a clogged vent on your gas cap

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account