Am I able to run this cylinder?

Something felt wrong, was still able to run. Turns out I was missing a small chunk of the piston and ringland. Whoops

71C05AB4-E867-4361-B21B-C3B79A80BD99.jpeg

Re: Am I able to run this cylinder?

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Looks kinda scored to me. I would be surprised if it did run unfortunately.

Im no expert but that looks like it snagged a ring. It snagged a ring cause the port openings were not chamfered.

Pic of the the piston plz and more pics of the cylinder with better lighting.

You could maybe use a ball brush on it. If you have and extra set of rings I would say go for it.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

If the ring gap is far enough to the right, theoretically you could widen the exhaust port enough to eliminate that big gouge altogether.

Might not be ideal, but it would run and work well enough if your'e on a budget.

Depending on the bike though, a new cylinder is almost always worth the investment over risking the health of the rest of the engine.

Dirty30 Dillon /

It looks very scored, and by the time you hone out that gouge you'll be looking at an overbore which at this point costs more than a kit.

Cleats Onionpockets /

If you run that, you're just going to tear up the new rings. I wouldn't chance it.

> Liam Farr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Something felt wrong, was still able to run. Turns out I was missing a

> small chunk of the piston and ringland. Whoops

Post a pic of the piston and rings , please .

I've run cylinders that looked worse than your's . But , I honed and chamfered to help make them serviceable .

Liam, you're really only 15 years old?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account