Sachs/Columbia Commuter kickstand options?

Hey all, I've got a 1977 Columbia Commuter with a stock centerstand that has warped/bent over time and now is largely un-usable. Stock ones don't seem too easy to locate - nor do they seem desirable in design anywho.

Is there a standard people have turned to for replacements? Anyone have luck with any of the treats side kickstands with Sachs opposed to the centerstands?

Re: Sachs/Columbia Commuter kickstand options?

Same question here. I tried to start mine while on the stand and bent it to smithereens.

Can someone post a couple pics , front and back , of those center-stands ?

Maybe someone will have an idea to make them more permanent .(edited)

Here are a few pics I pulled from the moped junkyard

sachscenterstand.PNG
sachscenterstand2.PNG

That looks substantial enough .

Where do they bend ? And , could they be beefed up to take a bit more abuse ?

I have a 1980 Sachs. It looks like your stand is the same as mine. My stand was also bent and the stand leaned so far forward, the back wheel was still on the ground. The frame had worn where the top of the kickstand was supposed to be supported. I removed the stand, beat it straight with a big hammer and then I added a bolt in the pocket behind the kickstand. Now that bolt really supports the stand

bolt.jpg
bolt1.jpg
standdown copy.jpg

An eyebolt supports the bolt inside the nut and the thread end of the eye bolt is fastened to a braided wire that wraps around the back and gets fastened to the head of the supporting bolt. I added some ties just in case the wire breaks, the bolt cannot go into the chain.

I am sure there are better ways, but this works for me.

standdown1.JPG
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account