I was recently given a 1978 Honda PA II. I'm a total newbie, so feel free to point out if I've missed something in the repair tutorials you've got posted already.
1. I can get it to run if I use starting fluid, but it when you just let it idle, it dies instantly. When I'm riding it, it seems to run just fine, doesn't sputter or bog down or anything. Once it has died, you can't start it again, without spraying in more starting fluid. So, it is obviously getting spark, but what I'm scratching my head about is why it will run at all, and not just burn up the starting fluid, if it won't start without the starting fluid. Suggestions?
2. The fuel pet cock was broken when I got it. I cleaned it out, and jerry rigged a plug for the hole where the valve handle is, so that I could see of the bike would run at all, before I spent any $$. What would you recommend as the best place to find for this part? Is there OEM available for this bike? Are aftermarket parts generally reliable?
3. I live on a pretty bumpy dirt road, I'm about 2 miles from pavement. can you get some knobbier tires for these bikes? I'm thinking that the regular road tires might get eaten by my road, if the bike proves to be a good back and forth to town ption.
4. What kind of gas mileage do all of you tend to get on these?
5. Do you all definitely mix 25-1 gas, or can you get away with the universal two cycle mix?