Cdi vs points stator

Ken Ehrhardt /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi all,. New project 1976 tomos bullet.

I keep digging into my new project. I've gone through my wiring trying to get spark. Took off Magneto cover to find my flywheel is not even bolted down. Not nut even hanging around in there. I got a new nut but nothing. I figured I'd take a look at the stator since I've read they can go bad. The flywheel has a bit of rust but not horrible. Not sure if just old and worn.

Anyways I can't see anything visibly wrong but I did notice it seemed to have points where I thought it would look different since I have a cdi. I have a new cdi I bought and a 3 wire stator yellow, blue, black for 76 tomos. I'm just confused where I thought a cdi took place of points.

I do notice the points stay closed and don't open. ( Don't think) And they are cruddy. Maybe I should clean them and give it a chance. I did so much research that I feel less informed now than before. Maybe cleaning the points and having them stay closed will help. Or I have the whole wrong setup.

And then my other question would be replacing it. I've only seen 2 wire stators designed for cdi with no blue for replacement. They come with new flywheel etc in treat land.

I do like digging around so even if I cant get it, I still like tinkering.

See pics. http://imgur.com/a/PH6zKwv

PS my large gear in gear case sometimes rubs just slightly on the countershaft where pedals are. I'm not playing with that yet. Maybe just an adjustment somewhere. Another day.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.