VM20 float help

Hey Swarm,

Kitted 1978 NC50, Weekends intake, VM20 carb. My bike has a slow drip from the carb, out the overflow from the bowl. The carb came with an all-plastic float, so has no adjustable metal tang on it to adjust the level. I believe this leak is due to the design of the intake, which forces the carb to sit at a sort of obtuse angle. Have thoroughly cleaned carb twice this spring, and using inline filter so I am sure this is not a 'debris' issue. I have been looking for one of these adjustable floats (see pic). Anybody know where I can get one? I don't think they are making these floats any more. Or... anybody know of an alternative to the Weekends intake that will allow the carb to sit 'square' with the bike?

VM20:495.jpg

Re: VM20 float help

Replying to myself (lame, I know). Anyway, I saw this intake on Treats. Supposed to be for an NC50 with a VM20 carb. Anybody tried this intake? What did you think of it? I would hate to spend another $60 and still have a crooked carb and wrong float level.

Intake.jpg

Update: I found one of these floats for the VM20 at Niche Cycle. I adjusted the 'tang' up a little bit because the Weak-ends intake causes my carb to tilt back about 10 degrees from where it should be (see photo). Carb still drips a little bit from the bowl overflow drain.

Carb Angle.JPG

Polish the float needle seat so it shines bright . And , insure the needle tip is without flaw .

Brasso or the like and Q tips works well for that task .

Chris Carleton /

Is the float needle all steel or viton? Had better luck with the latter.

So the new intake fixed the issue?

I’m having the exact issue with my Hobbit build. Vm20 on an unknown intake. Constantly leaks when ran. Cleaned the carb numerous times and tried bending the plastic float leaver a bit.

Also, if anyone has an adjustable vm20 float I’m interested

Pushrod Fifty /

You can see the fuel height by holding the float drain tube up, the fuel level should be below the brass drain tube on the inside of the float bowl. Try an extra fiber washer under the needle jet seat if it has the screw in type. That would lower the float height if your angle is causing the leakage. Bench test it for leaks at the installed angle, holding it in a vise, using a length of tubing and small funnel to fill with gas.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You can see the fuel height by holding the float drain tube up, the fuel

> level should be below the brass drain tube on the inside of the float

> bowl.

For that^ to work , the drain screw has to be opened . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account