Just when you thought you'd seen it all

Jack Rutherford /
seal.jpg

The arrow points to the seal on the right side of a yamahopper. Now if you look just to the right of the arrow, you can see inside the engine. Why? Because the seal is not big enough to fill the entire gap from the crank shaft to the inside of its housing.

I have a strong suspicion a dealer did this. So what did they do? They machined a spacer to fit over the crankshaft and inside the seal. Why? Because they were using the wrong seal.

Wouldn't it be easier to get the right seal instead of making a spacer so that the wrong seal can kind of still not work? Or maybe they got lucky and had a spacer that fit perfectly over the crankshaft and inside the seal. And btw, the spacer trick didn't work as the engine was burning transmission oil.

Just when you thought you'd seen it all.(edited)

Re: Just when you thought you'd seen it all

Josiah Radebaugh /

At least you won't seize it.

OG Crazy Wayne /

I'm not familiar with those engines but are you sure it isn't factory? I've run across set ups that work this way standard. For example, output shaft on a Tomos.

My '57 Simplex used that same setup on the output shaft : shaft , spacer and seal .

It works perfectly . I have to think that the 'spacer' was incorporated to save shaft wear .

Jack Rutherford /

Well could be standard. I've never seen that before but could be factory. I guess I have a lot more to see.(edited)

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Well could be standard. I've never seen that before but could be

> factory. I guess I have a lot more to see.

Life would be pretty boring if you have seen everything . ;)

I can just about guarantee you that a replacement seal would cost about $117 less than the time, effort and materials that would go into machining a spacer... so they didn't.

It looks like the seal is no. 13 ...

ScreenShot155.jpg

... and the spacer/collar is no. 6

ScreenShot156.jpg

Look HERE for the parts catalog.

Jack Rutherford /

Yeah I screwed up. Why? Probably because the collar was fused to the crankshaft on every other one that I've done. This was the first one where the collar actually came right off. And that collar actually serves as a spacer for the primary drive gear. So I had to take it apart and do it again with the collar and the correct seal. Anyhow, let's hope I don't get fooled again!

OG Crazy Wayne /

Hi Jack, I just posted a question about this seal and collar. How did you make out with the installation of the seal? My question is when putting the new seal in, is there a particular order to follow? For example, should I put the seal into the case and then the collar into the seal, using the beveled edge as the guide? I already wrecked a new seal trying to put it over the collar when the collar was already on the shaft. Also, did you install this seal dry or with a sealant on the outside?

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah I screwed up. Why? Probably because the collar was fused to the

> crankshaft on every other one that I've done. This was the first one

> where the collar actually came right off. And that collar actually

> serves as a spacer for the primary drive gear. So I had to take it

> apart and do it again with the collar and the correct seal. Anyhow,

> let's hope I don't get fooled again!

Where did you obtain the correct seal from? Ive been able to take bearings and seals to local bearing shops in the midwest and obtain the correct replacements 95% of the time for a fraction of what oem cost.

Jack Rutherford /

Winderosa complete seal kit for pw50 for $13 shipped off ebay

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account