Vespa ciao battery?

Anthony Sanchez /

I just got a Vespa ciao and in one of the rear boxes it has a big battery. Is that for the blinkers? I want to remove it, but I’m not sure if it’s for the rear light as well.

Thanks!

Re: Vespa ciao battery?

just remove it and tape off

If you remove the battery your tailight will keep burning out as the charging system has no place to dump its load.

If it is not leaking, leave it in there or replace it with a 6V dry cell from a trailer parts store for 20.00.

Anthony Sanchez /

Got it! I just thought it was only for the blinkers so if I was planning on taking them off Id might as well get rid of the battery..

Anthony Sanchez /

Won’t blow my tail light?!

Will blow your taillight if you remove the battery.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you remove the battery your tailight will keep burning out as the

> charging system has no place to dump its load.

>

> If it is not leaking, leave it in there or replace it with a 6V dry cell

> from a trailer parts store for 20.00.

id believe cheetah over myself on this one, maybe just tape a rock in its place.

Question: do you have the bullet headlight with the engine stop switch built in?

Yes the battery is there just for the blinkers but you can move the tailigt wire to another position so that it is not in the charging system.

Or it could be that once you remove the recitfiyer all will be Zen and you wont have to move the tail light feed.(edited)

Anthony Sanchez /

Yes I do have the bullet headlight.

So even if the battery’s probably dead. I should just leave it in there so it dumps into it?

Richard Eberline /

Remove the battery and all items in that cover. The two wires going to the rectifier are

hot from the #2 lighting coil. I cut the group of wires by the motor, leaving extra to splice. Remove the rear blinker wires. Remove the belt, loosen rear tire and just lower. Yank that group of wires by the bottom of the fender. The two coil wires that are hot, one goes to the rear light. Its now always on. The external coil needs to be frame grounded. Remember to remove the paint for the ground. The bolt for the coil mount to the frame. You can toggle switch the rear tail light. tape off the cut wires and the extra lighting coil wire. Or put a 6 volt, low wattage light.

Anthony Sanchez /

Awesome thank you so much !!!

I'm pretty sure the tail light is completely unaffected by the battery. It's on a separate circuit and separate coil. The light coil does the headlight and tail light. Ignition Coil does the brake light.

How does the battery affect the tail light if they aren't on the same circuit?

On a late model Hobbit or an Express, for example, yes, a missing battery will absolutely blow out bulbs.

But in my experience with more than many-many Vespa's, I've never had a missing battery blowout any bulbs...lucky? maybe, but I'm pretty sure the battery doesnt affect the taillight filaments.

Yes Ike. I have 80 grande with bullet headlight with the chicken head ignition switch

As soon as I turn the chicken head switch to the run position, the tailight goes on battery power and lights up before I pedal start the motor.

When I got bike the battery was dead and leaking and the tail was burned. Replaced the tail bulb twice and they both popped immediately. Installed a dry cell battery in the box and the bulbs are protected.

I wouldn't doubt that the wiring between the two bikes is vastly different since the Grande has more elaborate integrated hand controls.

I dont thing the Bravos ever came with the grande deluxe controls.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account