Re: So I Made a Dumb Mistake

Yeah I figured the aluminum one was kind of optional. But the cylinder one probably isn’t.

Base gasket no. U can trace it out and use .5 gasket paper. A spinning Dremel makes for a nice exact shaper. Then soak in oil before mounting. Careful for the rings

Ok. I will look into that. Head gasket is just oil, Base gasket is oil and gasket material.

So I looked around, making my own base gasket costs more. I’m just going to skip the monkey business and just buy a gasket. I am also going to buy a petcock, a filter (if I can find one), and possible an aluminum head gasket, because might as well. Any other things to add to the Amazon cart? Big bore kits are tempting, but I must resist the urge until the bike runs well.

Making a base gasket from an empty cereal box costs more ?

Oh wow. I thought it had to be special gasket material. I will definitely give it a shot later.

I found these filters for my Express on Ebay. Very small (about 2.5 inches tall). I know how hard it its to find a filter small enough to fit in that tight space. With these 90 degree filters I can put the filter right on top of the carburetor. Also, Treats has a petcock that fits (14mm) that has a 90 degree outlet... you might want to consider this too so your gas does not have to try to flow uphill to the carb. Cheers!

90degfilter.jpg

So I gave it a shot.... It half spun then locked. I took the head and base off to find the piston had broken! One of the flanges broke, and a chunk of metal was stopping the crankshaft from spinning. I removed all the big chunks and vacuumed the cavity, just to be safe. It spins freely with no damage. Now I must ask myself, buy a stock piston and just use my old cylinder ($30-$60)? Or just bite the bullet and buy a big bore kit ($130 on treatland)? In both cases I plan on getting the kit, so my thinking is to save the money and go with the big guns.

I was thinking something like this (edited)

Jack Rutherford /

Just get a new stock piston and rings. That $130 kit might lead to bigger headaches if you aren't careful.

I get what your saying about that kit, but now I have decided on the 60cc kit. I don’t need freeway speeds, just 40-50 mph. For $50 more, I get peace of mind for my piston, my cylinder, my rings, and my gaskets. Also in terms for $ per cc the 60cc beats the 70cc kit, and the 50cc piston. Along with that I have the cart lined up with an OEM air filter.

OG Crazy Wayne /

that 60cc kit is really not much of an improvement if any at all some of had more trouble with it than just the stock set up.

It's quite obvious to everybody reading through this thread that you're not really trying very hard you should really go do some research on how to put an engine together otherwise you're going to have the common mistakes like not properly setting the Clips in that hold the Piston pin in it's going to pop out and you going to end up with another disintegrated piston assembly.

The dark it has been proven for the last 12 + years to have very good reliability and power Improvement. I have a feeling you're going to really hate this bike because you're not putting the effort into it to make it proper so keep us posted and post pictures oh the Carnage thank you and good luck with your endeavors you're going to need it.

> OG Crazy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> that 60cc kit is really not much of an improvement if any at all some of

> had more trouble with it than just the stock set up.

So pay the $35 more for 70cc? Also I'm going to ignore the comment on not trying, I have taken an engines class using 4 stroke OHV engines and can tear it down and put it back together. I talked to a guy today who has 3 expresses from different years and conditions. (One even converted to CDI ignition) The mistake I made with the alternator screw is common. Keep in mind, this thing is older then me.

> The dark it has been proven for the last 12 + years to have very good

> reliability and power Improvement.

The dark? I don't understand. Link please?

EDIT: Also, according to the wiki a puch cylinder should fit my express. Anyone find this to be true? If so, I could just get a cheaper 70cc kit to learn on. (edited)

OG Crazy Wayne /

Talk-to-text made a mistake that should have been Dr not dark.

So I will let you fix this on your own and just observe, have fun mister expertise.

So I have done some thinking. You're right, I can't just jump to the kit. I'm not an authorized Honda tech or any 2 stroke tech. (I managed to get a weed whipper engine to catch fire, a story I will NEVER share). I need to take more care. I will buy the stock piston, and all new gaskets, new crank seals, new filter element, and new petcock. I will do this slowly, and carefully. I'm going to start looking for good engine tear down vids as well. I will start with the 25-27 mph max, and go with the small ticket items and move from there. Or just sell it and get a more mod-able bike, I'm not sure yet.

OG Crazy Wayne /

You'll be fine with the DR kit it's not that big of a deal.

Go read the Kaboom grkids read my bump today and go read all of the links and sub links in my profile that should give you enough knowledge to put a little DR kit on there.

So do buy the 70cc DR kit and not just the piston? I don't know... Then i would have to buy a carb or drill the main jet also one review mentioned the crank breaking and sending the kit down the street, also wouldn't I have to upgrade the exhaust? I just want to get the thing running for now. Also the crank seals look like a tedious process. The ac generator side doesn't have oil in it, but the right side, I can't tell if the seal is good. The exhaust was only blueish from the 2 stroke oil when it ran. So maybe it's fine? (edited)

OG Crazy Wayne /

If you had a hobbit yes I would suggest replacing the crankshaft but you have an Express at those don't have issues with the crankshaft in this year pretty much going full race which you are not and as far as the exhaust it will run fine with the stock exhaust and treats has the Jets for your carburetor so I suggest getting the three largest ones and you will be fine go do some reading before you ask any more stupid questions please thank you.

I do suggest that you replace the bolts that hold the head and cylinder on with studs they are available at treats. Go read some of Captain janeway's threads

whoops douple post. I am too tired (edited)

Thats the thing with my carb. Jet is press fit, not to be rude but unless you can give a 100% answer on what size to drill the jet to, I'm not taking the chance. I don't feel comfortable with modifying it based on how this project has gone so far. I'm going to just stick to stock until it is running good for a couple hundred miles. I'm going to hit the hay now, so don't expect an answer for a couple hours.

OG Crazy Wayne /

Many of the deer kits I've installed actually come with a drill bit to drill to Jetta out

You must be hell to live with with your anal tendencies

Goodbye you're on your own you have everything you need all the decisions from this point forward our years goodbye don't stub your toe on the big rock on your way out (edited)

Listen here internet bozo, I'm looking for help. Not attitude. The DR kit on treats doesn't advertise having a drill bit, vs the Malossi and Polini kit on the same site. If you tell me what size bit to use, and if you have used the kit specifically on an express, then I will be on my merry way. Just right now, I'm shooting in the dark if I don't know the bit size, or if it is required on an express. I don't want to throw my limited hard earned cash into the dark.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account